someone is being a naughty boy!

seriously, I don't want to cull him! (not meant in a rude way) I want my old Oscar back! The one that loved his girls and thought I was part of the flock! I have NO clue why he all the sudden acts that way, but I will have to correct him! not by culling him or re-homing him! I hope I can re-correct him! and make him who he once was!
fl.gif

If my father were to cull him (which he is not) I would cry my heart out! everyday!

seriously, I don't want to cull him! (not meant in a rude way) I want my old Oscar back! The one that loved his girls and thought I was part of the flock! I have NO clue why he all the sudden acts that way, but I will have to correct him! not by culling him or re-homing him! I hope I can re-correct him! and make him who he once was!
fl.gif

If my father were to cull him (which he is not) I would cry my heart out! everyday!
Unfortunately, sometimes we have to make hard decisions in chicken management. How old is your sister? Old enough to defend herself from him, or young enough to get seriously injured? (As in, potentially getting spurred in the face leaving her scarred for the rest of her life, or possibly getting an infection from spurs, and bruises from being flogged.)

You can try to rehabilitate him. It may work. It also may teach him to respect you, but not anyone else, putting your sister and others in danger. It also probably won't settle him down with the hens. Do you really want your hens all stressed out like they are now? Do you really want to take a chance on breeding aggressiveness into a whole new generation of birds? Do you have plans for whatever chicks you hatch out? There are times when we need to consider what's best for the whole flock, and not just one bird.

Unfortunately, sometimes we have to make hard decisions in chicken management. How old is your sister? Old enough to defend herself from him, or young enough to get seriously injured? (As in, potentially getting spurred in the face leaving her scarred for the rest of her life, or possibly getting an infection from spurs, and bruises from being flogged.)

You can try to rehabilitate him. It may work. It also may teach him to respect you, but not anyone else, putting your sister and others in danger. It also probably won't settle him down with the hens. Do you really want your hens all stressed out like they are now? Do you really want to take a chance on breeding aggressiveness into a whole new generation of birds? Do you have plans for whatever chicks you hatch out? There are times when we need to consider what's best for the whole flock, and not just one bird.
What she said^^^^^^^^^

Just curious. It's hard enough to find good homes for your extra roosters who have nice temperaments and have the makings to be an excellent flock rooster. Where are the homes supposed to come from for the aggressive ones?.
1.Your only choices are to hide the reason you are rehoming (which isn't fair at all.)
2. Or rehome with disclosure figuring it is someone else's crockpot he will gracing.

P.S. Once you've had some nice roosters you won't tolerate the bad ones. There is such a difference.

Last edited:
Hello peeps! :frow My rooster Oscar is a year old and a week ago his attitude started to change! he use to be very mellow and nice to the ladies, but something has changed! we put are chickens on poultry vitamins and finally has sickle feathers, and I guess a newly found attitude ! And NO, I'm NOT sending him off to freezer camp! He has attacked my sister 2 times charged me so many times I cannot count! He is not letting the hens have any food, just hogging it all for himself. He with the hens will fight over treats! and if I give a treat to the hen I'm the one he goes after until he gets food! can anyone help me with this behavior! I will not tolerate it any longer! thanks! ~Summer!~
He is a nice looking rooster, but do you really want to put up with this kind of behavior? Besides being dangerous to you and your family, he is probably taking the fun out of raising chickens. IMO, confining this rooster will make him not only miserable, but even more aggressive. I also agree w people on this thread who say his offspring is most likely going to be aggressive. If you are really against killing him, you may want to place him in an enclosure away from the hens. Seeing and hearing the hens without being able to be with them will only make his life more miserable. I would personally either give him away with full disclosure of his bad behavior or humanely have him killed. Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

Just curious. It's hard enough to find good homes for your extra roosters who have nice temperaments and have the makings to be an excellent flock rooster. Where are the homes supposed to come from for the aggressive ones?.
1.Your only choices are to hide the reason you are rehoming (which isn't fair at all.)
2. Or rehome with disclosure figuring it is someone else's crockpot he will gracing.

P.S. Once you've had some nice roosters you won't tolerate the bad ones. There is such a difference.
Option #2. Rehome with full disclosure so someone else doesn't get hurt by an aggressive rooster. Don't ask questions, don't ask to come visit.

Just curious.  It's hard enough to find good homes for your extra roosters who have nice temperaments and have the makings to be an excellent flock rooster.  Where are the homes supposed to come from for the aggressive ones?.
    2.  Or rehome with disclosure figuring it is someone else's crockpot he will gracing.

P.S.  Once you've had some nice roosters you won't tolerate the bad ones. There is such a difference.

I have rehomed my aggressive roosters with full disclosure of their behavior. One I gave to a family who was going to have him for dinner. Two others went to a farmer who knew very well what she was getting into but loved the way they looked and wanted to take the risk. She was also a very experienced chicken owner.
I spent almost a year trying to rehome them, so let me tell you it was not easy.

I'm trying something to not make him as aggressive and as I was doing that I that there was blood drops all over the coop I didn't know if he had hurt a hen or what! I picked him up and he struggled and pecked me then settled down and we walked and walked and walked! and once we waled for about 20 or so minutes and put him back. I noticed I had blood all over my hands and hoodie! Hmm I wonder if that injury may have caused him to chase the hens maybe? and might be because of boredom too? or where there at, the coop hasn't been moved in quite a while and has rained and been nasty and we don't have are tractor to move it right now!

she is older than me! she is just a scaredy cat! but I am the one responsible for the chickens, she just fills in for me when I'm sick ECT...! He only has 1 spur so not as much damage lol! he hasn't attacked me just charged me and pecked me! but I'm doing the best I can! I'm reading about this on other websites about why he just starting to act like this!

Back
Top Bottom