Somethings wrong need help.

Slicker chicker

Chirping
Sep 20, 2023
Yesterday I noticed my lavender Orpington was sneezing a lot and tipping her head back and opening her beak like she’s trying to gasp for air but she’s not making a bunch of noise doing it … She has no gunk coming out of her nose or any around her eyes, but her comb and waddle has turned gray. I was firmly petting her down over her crop area, and she would make almost a moan of relief sound. That’s the best word I could think of. Sometimes when she’s in a sneezing fit, she will go down on her hocks. She has been eating, but has been distancing herself from the flock a lot. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Attachments

• IMG_6932.jpeg
    IMG_6932.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6933.jpeg
    IMG_6933.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 16
Can you see any mucus or gunk inside her beak and throat? Is she drinking fluids? Don’t press on her crop, since that can push food and fluids back up into airway and throat. Have you wormed her recently? What is your general location? I would consider worming her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, or getting SafeGuard horse paste or liquid goat wormer, and giving her 1.25 ml orally for 5 straight days in case of gapeworm. She may have a respiratory disease, and any dust, old or poor air circulation can cause more problems.

Hey, seems like your girl may have a serious respitory ailment like gapeworm. I've personally never experienced it myself but heard that affected chickens will tilt their head back and gasp for air and may be sneezing, and coughing (comb and waddles will turn purple from lack of oxygen).

Here's a few articles that talk a bit about gapeworm and other ailments that may cause your chicken to have those symptoms
https://www.dineachook.com.au/blog/what-are-the-symptoms-of-chicken-gapeworm/

https://www.aussiechooksupplies.com...ogs/gapeworm-does-my-gasping-chicken-have-it/

Here's a chicken suffering from gapeworm

She could be having heat stroke if it is hot or just a stroke. Maybe a heartattack. If it is the last two than there might not be anything you can do.
We are in north Idaho and under 75 degrees now. it’s been happening since yesterday morning, so I wouldn’t think her heart. I’m not exactly sure tho. But it sure is scary.

Hey, seems like your girl may have a serious respitory ailment like gapeworm. I've personally never experienced it myself but heard that affected chickens will tilt their head back and gasp for air and may be sneezing, and coughing (comb and waddles will turn purple from lack of oxygen).

Here's a few articles that talk a bit about gapeworm and other ailments that may cause your chicken to have those symptoms
https://www.dineachook.com.au/blog/what-are-the-symptoms-of-chicken-gapeworm/

https://www.aussiechooksupplies.com...ogs/gapeworm-does-my-gasping-chicken-have-it/

Here's a chicken suffering from gapeworm
I am leaning towards gapeworm or impacted crop. They don’t sell chicken wormer at my Tractor supply but another commented goat wormer so I’m gonna try that! Thank you for the articles to check out ☺️

Can you see any mucus or gunk inside her beak and throat? Is she drinking fluids? Don’t press on her crop, since that can push food and fluids back up into airway and throat. Have you wormed her recently? What is your general location? I would consider worming her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, or getting SafeGuard horse paste or liquid goat wormer, and giving her 1.25 ml orally for 5 straight days in case of gapeworm. She may have a respiratory disease, and any dust, old or poor air circulation can cause more problems.
Thank you! I’m going to go to tractor supply tomorrow to get the safe guard or goat wormer . How much safeguard would I administer? Any idea? Thank you again for the information and ideas. 😊

Thank you! I’m going to go to tractor supply tomorrow to get the safe guard or goat wormer . How much safeguard would I administer? Any idea? Thank you again for the information and ideas. 😊
I posted the dosage for SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste in pos 2 above. Get some 3 ml syringes to help with measuring. Shake the bottle well.

I posted the dosage for SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste in pos 2 above. Get some 3 ml syringes to help with measuring. Shake the bottle well.
I’ve done 7 days now and she’s still doing it. It’s worse… my vets here don’t do chickens. Any other ideas? I’ve been talking to my husband about putting her down because I don’t know what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom