Sore skin, flaky, scaly, feathers come out with the flakes.

This really looks like a condition I've seen previously. A topical alamycin spray has appeared to cure it for us in the past, but once we stopped treatment it did eventuality come back. We tried a lot of other treatments under veterinary advice and nothing else ever made much difference. The condition did not spread to our other birds though even though they were housed together so we assume that it is not contagious

Oh my gosh! Thanks for writing! We are on our third round of antibiotics and it just keeps.coming.back. what did you eventually do? We are considering culling her at this point.
This really looks like a condition I've seen previously. A topical alamycin spray has appeared to cure it for us in the past, but once we stopped treatment it did eventuality come back. We tried a lot of other treatments under veterinary advice and nothing else ever made much difference. The condition did not spread to our other birds though even though they were housed together so we assume that it is not contagious

Ugh, yes, we had the same experience. We had some long term antibiotic treatments, salt spray treatments, uv treatment. We never had positive results apart from alamycin spray. Here in Ireland it's easy to find this spray, the problem is that it is blue! So the bird lived his life looking blue. Unfortunately once we stopped treatment it always came back. In the end we did have to make the decision to euthanize. But we tried everything we could in the hopes that if we ever had the issue again we would be able to deal with it. The alamycin spray is a stop gap measure but it did improve the quality of life and increase life for a period. If you try the treatment I would love to hear how it goes.

Try some castor oil on those spots. I'd start with a small area and see how she reacts to it. @Beekissed swears by castor oil for it's antifungal, antibacterial properties as well as it's ability to improve circulation to the area. If there are some microscopic mites involved, it would kill them as well.

Oxine disinfectant kills fungus very effectively, and also has some insecticidal qualities. The "activated" form is still gentle enough to use on skin (and makes an effective hand sanitizer at about 75-200 ppm).
You can buy it on Amazon. $40 for Oxine + $15 for activator Citric Acid.
Probably use 200 ppm concentration, but not super heavy around head, to avoid excessive inhalation. It's quite safe around eyes. You could use a syringe (with needle removed) to drip onto skin in affected areas. If seems to be working, could dip in 100 ppm (or stronger) concentration in warm water. (But first spray around head and neck, so that if there are mites, they can't just crawl up the chicken's neck to avoid the water. Then blow dry.
Betcha it would work :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom