Sore skin, flaky, scaly, feathers come out with the flakes.

bpilgrim

Chirping
Jul 10, 2015
Hi All, I've read a bunch of forums and understand this could be mites or a fungal problem, was hoping my pictures might provide something that I could get a definitive answer on so I can treat accordingly. This chicken has flaky skin all over her body. One of these photos with the very yellow/orange color is under her wing, and there is presence of moisture under her wing too. The dry skin appears to be affecting her eyes, she walks a little funny too. I'm sure it hurts her to be touched. I recently treated my entire flock with Ivermectin for legs mites, which worked wonders, in case that is helpful info, and at the same time treated the entire coop with permethrin. As a test, I pulled one of the flakes and the feathers at the shaft came out effortlessly.

Any idea on what this is and how to treat? Fungus? The mites that live in the feather shaft? As I inspected her today I didn't see any bugs. Also to note, her vent has scabs on it, which I believe suggests bugs. Any advice is appreciated. :) Thanks for reading!

IMG_4157.JPG

below is under her wing, sorry it's blurry...
IMG_4175.JPG
IMG_4177.JPG

Hi All, I've read a bunch of forums and understand this could be mites or a fungal problem, was hoping my pictures might provide something that I could get a definitive answer on so I can treat accordingly.

The only way you will (hopefully) get a definitive answer is by taking her to a vet for testing.

We can give you our best "guesses" or suggestions, but we are not vets nor experts.

Mites, fungal or bacterial infection - it would be hard to know which one.

You mention that the Ivermectin helped? Could be some type of feather mite or maybe a bird mange, but that would be speculation.

Having moisture under the wing and scabs - if at all possible get some testing - she may have a combination where something like a mite infestation caused a bacterial or fungal infection.

Thanks for the replies - The issue that the chicken in the post azygous provided appears to be exactly the same thing. I'll keep reading/researching and certainly take to the Dr. soon if I have no luck.

The OP on the other thread with the same condition just reported back after taking the hen to a vet. Not much new information, but go check it out as more may be added later.

I am assuming a staph skin infection, and I would treat with oral penicillin or amoxicillin. You might consider doing so with your little patient.

How is she doing?

Thanks for the replies - The issue that the chicken in the post azygous provided appears to be exactly the same thing. I'll keep reading/researching and certainly take to the Dr. soon if I have no luck.
Hi I'm the lady from ther other thread! Just wanted to add that they also told me not to give her any more baths to avoid irritating the skin more.

Oh wow, Thanks you guys! I've been bathing her in clinical strength head and shoulders... she appears to be improving, and has more energy...I don't see any new 'yuck' on her skin, but that may be only because I've been soaking her regularly, and she's alone so is eating and drinking regularly (She normally just hides by herself in the coop)...ok, Should I stop the baths like you did and see if it comes back? If it does, then I'll take her to the vet and get a prescription maybe....Or maybe I just take her and not wait. Worried I'm gonna get it now that I've been handling her!

I really appreciate both of you following up on my post, I've been so lost!! You two are amazing. I'll keep an eye on your post if you update it to see how treatment is going on yours. :)

The fact that no new flakes are forming is very promising! That was not the case with my girl, which makes sense because I was trying to treat a fungus and it wasn't a fungal infection. I was not seeing any improvement, so if you are, I would give the current route a chance. Does her skin look red? If not the baths might be okay.

Oh, ok...No, her skin isn't red underneath the flakes...Which puzzled me. lol....I wonder if she had something that already went away and now I'm dealing with the aftermath. The worst crusty part is at her shoulder, right where her wing bends...it' stuck on....not moving...Alright, well, maybe I'll keep baths until it looks cleared and then some, then monitor. If it comes back after stopping the soaks, then I'll visit the vet. She sure is grumpy....she's like angry bird, which is funny, because she was always so sweet and shy before. It's like she finally has the energy to be mad at me..and I'm taking it as a good sign.

Oh, ok...No, her skin isn't red underneath the flakes...Which puzzled me. lol....I wonder if she had something that already went away and now I'm dealing with the aftermath. The worst crusty part is at her shoulder, right where her wing bends...it' stuck on....not moving...Alright, well, maybe I'll keep baths until it looks cleared and then some, then monitor. If it comes back after stopping the soaks, then I'll visit the vet. She sure is grumpy....she's like angry bird, which is funny, because she was always so sweet and shy before. It's like she finally has the energy to be mad at me..and I'm taking it as a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom