Sour crop or already pendulous?

ShadyHillFarm

Songster
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
NW Georgia
This little guy has always been a bit puffier in the crop than the others, but this morning I woke up to this. I'm assuming this is still his crop? It's very soft, so I know it's not impacted. I've already separated him with some hardware cloth from the others and the food/water for the time being to see if it goes down. He also just seems stunted; not developing like the others. I put a pic of another chick for comparison (same breed and age).

Back story: Part of a shipment of chicks that got stuck in transit, arriving after 5 days. He's one of 7 that survived.

Attachments

• DSCN5996.JPG
    DSCN5996.JPG
    401.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN5997.JPG
    DSCN5997.JPG
    457.8 KB · Views: 5
Tell us about this chick's behavior. Is it just standing still? Is it pooping? If so, what to the poops look like? Does the chick hog the heat source? Look at its eyes. Are they wide open and clear, or watery, dull and perhaps red-rimmed?

Impacted crop is not always hard. The impaction can be farther down the intestinal track causing constipation, which backs up the works so the crop won't empty. This can be fatal in a very short time if left untreated. Therefore, I always treat with coconut oil when I see even the slightest hint of constipation.

Tell us about this chick's behavior. Is it just standing still? Is it pooping? If so, what to the poops look like? Does the chick hog the heat source? Look at its eyes. Are they wide open and clear, or watery, dull and perhaps red-rimmed?

Impacted crop is not always hard. The impaction can be farther down the intestinal track causing constipation, which backs up the works so the crop won't empty. This can be fatal in a very short time if left untreated. Therefore, I always treat with coconut oil when I see even the slightest hint of constipation.

She is a bit more still than others, but still pretty active. Like right now she is totally ticked being separated, chirping loudly and keeps trying to find a way past the hardware cloth. He eyes aren't near as open and bright as the others, that's something I've always noticed. In just the few hours of isolation she's pooped a good deal (solid), but it's not dropping, so I'm having to keep her cleaned off. How do you administer the CO? Do you keep it solid or liquid?

Back
Top Bottom