MyersChickens

Chirping
Jul 30, 2021
So I think my hen has sour crop. Im going to put her in her own cage so that she cant get to food or water, and I'm going to get some miconazole and do that for the next 7 days. But do I put water in her cage? I know I need to take it out at night so that I can see how her crop is doing in the morning, but do I keep the water in during the day? And should I give her some Greek yogurt and scrambled eggs, or would that just make it worse? Should I hold off on food and water for the first 12 hours entirely?

This is just my experience so I am sure there will be lots of opinions.
You need to leave no food or water at night so you can assess the crop in the morning after all your massaging etc.
During the day they can run around and drink and eat (though they probably won’t eat much).

I'm not sure what's going on with her now. I've given her miconazole for 2 days now, as well as Greek yogurt, water, and some egg. But now her crop isn't squishy it feels basically like a regular crop, maybe a little harder, but it's still not draining. I'm afraid that if I keep giving her food it will turn into a compacted crop. It makes no sense. So the only other thing I can think of is that she has a pendulous crop. Because I does look a bit more droopy than normal crops. If that is what she has, what do I do to fix it? Do I give her any specific foods? Do I need to make her a crop sling or whatever they're called? I've never dealt with one before, so I'm not sure what to do.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm not sure what's going on with her now. I've given her miconazole for 2 days now, as well as Greek yogurt, water, and some egg. But now her crop isn't squishy it feels basically like a regular crop, maybe a little harder, but it's still not draining. I'm afraid that if I keep giving her food it will turn into a compacted crop. It makes no sense. So the only other thing I can think of is that she has a pendulous crop. Because I does look a bit more droopy than normal crops. If that is what she has, what do I do to fix it? Do I give her any specific foods? Do I need to make her a crop sling or whatever they're called? I've never dealt with one before, so I'm not sure what to do. View attachment 3192095View attachment 3192097
I've done some research and it looks like the only thing I really can try is to get her a crop bra. Is there anything else I can do, or is that it?

If she does have pendulous crop there is no way to fix it. The only thing you can do is make a crop bra for her, she will have to wear it all the time.

I think my hen has sour crop. Im going to put her in her own cage so that she cant get to food or water, and I'm going to get some miconazole and do that for the next 7 days. But do I put water in her cage?

I've given her miconazole for 2 days now, as well as Greek yogurt, water, and some egg. But now her crop isn't squishy it feels basically like a regular crop, maybe a little harder, but it's still not draining. I'm afraid that if I keep giving her food it will turn into a compacted crop.
Please.
Get some photos of her poop. Thank you!

Don't withhold food/water during the day. I'd let her out with her flock. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. Tell us what her crop feels like then.

You are giving the Miconazole twice a day? How much?

I would not put a bra on her until you have exhausted all avenues to see if you can get the crop to empty.

You make no mention if she's laying eggs - is she?
Have you dewormed her? If yes, then when, with what and the dose.

Very rarely do I separate out a bird for anything unless they are getting picked on. Isolation is boredom, they don't do well and stop eating/drinking. You want a bird with issue to continue to eat/drink if at all possible.

Re-read the article including all the comments, good info there. The bottom line is a crop issue can take weeks to resolve it's not a quick fix and often it's just a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, worms, coccidiosis and/or infection.

Please.

Don't withhold food/water during the day. I'd let her out with her flock. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. Tell us what her crop feels like then.

I would not put a bra on her until you have exhausted all avenues to see if you can get the crop to empty.

Very rarely do I separate out a bird for anything unless they are getting picked on. Isolation is boredom, they don't do well and stop eating/drinking. You want a bird with issue to continue to eat/drink if at all possible.

Re-read the article including all the comments, good info there. The bottom line is a crop issue can take weeks to resolve it's not a quick fix and often it's just a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, worms, coccidiosis and/or infection.
Yeah it's definitely pendulous crop, each day it gets a bit bigger, and she's not eating or drinking much at all. I make sure to check up on her multiple times a day, and I usually massage her crop for a bit. Not because it's hard, it feels normal besides it's size, but maybe to help it drain just a little. I'm not sure if it's actually doing anything, but she seems to find them relaxing either way. A crop bra is on its way in the mail and should arrive within the next couple of days.

Her poop is very runny, and sometimes it's a bit yellow. (Does that mean anything?) I'm guessing it's runny because none of the food is digesting so it's basically just water.

As for laying eggs I'm not sure. She didnt lay eggs for the first two days when I kept her in a pen when I thought it was sour crop. But since then she very well could have and I just don't know. They are very good at laying their eggs where we cant find them half the time.

We dewormed all our chickens about a year ago when we thought one of them might have them. Turns out they didn't. We haven't dewormed them since then, but we've never dealt with worm issues in the past. However I will look more into that. What would you recommend I deworm her with and what dose? I don't remember what we used last time.

Please.

As for miconazole, I was giving her about half an inch of the cream twice a day. That's what people reccomended. however I stopped once I realized it wasn't sour crop because I didn't think it would help her pendulous crop at all.

And I'll try to get some photos of her poop. :)

Please.

Her crown and waddles are also quite pale, though I'm assuming that's because shes not eating and drinking much?

Back
Top Bottom