South Carolina

Wiring over the top is a great idea, it will protect them from hawks, owls, raccoons and oppossums. Besides some roosts and nest boxes, the only other thing I would do is some sort of roof over part of it to give them shelter from the rain. Keep in mind that babies don't usually roost and they start out roosting low. My grower pens have nest boxes on ground level for the chicks/juveniles to sleep in so they can get off the cold, wet ground. A partial roof will be helpful in keeping your feeder dry too.

We will be adding a roof soon using clear roof sheeting. We have one wall left to put a wire barrier down underground at the front and the roof and we are finished! All except the roosts and nest boxes anyway. The chicks are roosting on a little dowel in the brooder now, so we will put in a temporary low roost for them to use. I drove by a warehouse today and spotted a nice wooden box. It should be the perfect size to make two nest boxes for the girls. I will either let them sleep in it until they start to roost to sleep or I will put a smaller plastic tote on its side for them to snuggle into.

I don't have plans to leave the chicks outside at night just yet since they are only 3 weeks old today. I am going to give them at least another week inside at night- especially as cold as it has been getting this week. They are feathering nicely, but not quite there yet. Should I be acclimating them to the colder temps. I have a heat lamp on them, but it has been getting @ 70 -ish in the brooder first thing in the mornings.

Another question- the coop has a dirt floor. I was thinking of adding some pine shavings to make it easier to keep clean. Any suggestions?

Buffalo SC I'm currently over run with Barred Rock chicks. and Sexlinks in the incubator. How many chicks you want?

And it is great to see so many " neibours " to Union County.

Last edited:
Morning, everyone!
Just checking in and catching up on reading while I sip my coffee and wait on Jackie. She should be here in a few minutes and then my day will be another busy one. Lots of customers, taking 32 dz eggs to the Food Pantry at the church for the second Saturday meal and then back for more gardening, I hope. Somewhere in there I have to clean brooders, feed and water and at some point I need to move around some breeding birds for a new bunch of hatching to start. There are at least 7 pens that need to be changed around. I did move a white Silkie hen that just gave up her babies to the Sizzle pen so the Serama will be caring for those. And I have 2 new blue Silkie pullets to add to that Sizzle pen, too since they are finally old enough. But gosh, so many more roos and hens need to be moved around! Lots to do on a breeding farm!

Glad to see some new faces on here even though I seldom get on here much anymore. That other site takes a lot of my time though I am on here answering a lot of PMs. My friends are still here!

Everyone have a blessed day!

Sand...cost a lil more...but I cleaned 3 12x12 coops yesaterday in 30 mins(have to stop and watch my cochins!) because I just rake the poo off with a mini leaf rake and scoop up! I will never go back to dirt or shavings in my standing coop(I have tractors I move so no sand in them) Some use shavings and fallen leaves too though!

We will be adding a roof soon using clear roof sheeting. We have one wall left to put a wire barrier down underground at the front and the roof and we are finished! All except the roosts and nest boxes anyway. The chicks are roosting on a little dowel in the brooder now, so we will put in a temporary low roost for them to use. I drove by a warehouse today and spotted a nice wooden box. It should be the perfect size to make two nest boxes for the girls. I will either let them sleep in it until they start to roost to sleep or I will put a smaller plastic tote on its side for them to snuggle into.

I don't have plans to leave the chicks outside at night just yet since they are only 3 weeks old today. I am going to give them at least another week inside at night- especially as cold as it has been getting this week. They are feathering nicely, but not quite there yet. Should I be acclimating them to the colder temps. I have a heat lamp on them, but it has been getting @ 70 -ish in the brooder first thing in the mornings.

Another question- the coop has a dirt floor. I was thinking of adding some pine shavings to make it easier to keep clean. Any suggestions?

Sand...cost a lil more...but I cleaned 3 12x12 coops yesaterday in 30 mins(have to stop and watch my cochins!) because I just rake the poo off with a mini leaf rake and scoop up! I will never go back to dirt or shavings in my standing coop(I have tractors I move so no sand in them) Some use shavings and fallen leaves too though!

I might use shavings but right now money is super tight. I will have less than $100 invested in this coop. I might use leaves at least to start- lord knows I have plenty of them since the coop is in the woods :)

I might use shavings but right now money is super tight. I will have less than $100 invested in this coop. I might use leaves at least to start- lord knows I have plenty of them since the coop is in the woods :)

That is a lot of work and a great coop for under $100...you did a great job!!! I use shavings in some...just mother earth in some...and now have leaves in one just did today so time will tell...I would love to do the sand as Dixiebeast/Samantha mentioned! I have been over there and seen it and it does seem easy maintenance and lasts long term...Love your coop! Great job!!
thumbsup.gif

Have not been on much today! Been a busy day at the farm with a quick trip to moms today also!! I just had to come by and say hi!! Plus I have a cute pic to share...here is my Frizzled Giant Cochin T-Rex!! Hope you all had a great day also!!

SAND!! That is my first choice for floor, shavings would be second. Sand is much easier to maintain and I think cheaper in the long run. You can just rake the sand and shovel out the clumps and it's good to go. Less likely to harbor mites and such too. I wish I could have it in all of my pens, one of these days!

Back
Top Bottom