South Carolina

Hi Jen! I live in Inman also. I wanted to let you know that I ordered chicks from The Inman feed store on Asheville hwy. They order from a hatchery. If you order the beginning of the week then you get 3 day old chicks on Friday. You can order any breed & all females if you want. I ordered 2 Australorps & 2 production reds back in Oct. They are doing great and I am waiting for them to lay their first egg. Now I want to order EE's, copper marans, silkies & maybe something else. They are very addicting!
Maybe we should meet up so I can learn some from you. It would be nice to have a chicken friend :) I would really like to start with hens and work my way up to chicks. backwards, I know, but I want to be comfortable with what I am doing before I get a bunch of chicks if that makes sense. I don't think we have even even been in the Inman Feed store and we live probably a mile and half from it! Thanks for the tip!

Hi Jen! I live in Inman also. I wanted to let you know that I ordered chicks from The Inman feed store on Asheville hwy. They order from a hatchery. If you order the beginning of the week then you get 3 day old chicks on Friday. You can order any breed & all females if you want. I ordered 2 Australorps & 2 production reds back in Oct. They are doing great and I am waiting for them to lay their first egg. Now I want to order EE's, copper marans, silkies & maybe something else. They are very addicting!

I go by there almost every day but in 26 years I have never bought chicks there. They recommend a lot of people come to me for laying hens since I seldom sell chicks anymore. I hatch and raise for myself and if I have some left over or do not need them later I sell the grown birds. They seem to be nice people and we have done business with them next door at the auto shop, which is how they know about me. I took my truck there a few times and have my farm name plastered all over it and that I have chickens, ducks, Guineas and peafowl.

You think they are addicting ........ let me show you addiction....... http://www.westknollfarm.com/

ep.gif
lau.gif

I go by there almost every day but in 26 years I have never bought chicks there. They recommend a lot of people come to me for laying hens since I seldom sell chicks anymore. I hatch and raise for myself and if I have some left over or do not need them later I sell the grown birds. They seem to be nice people and we have done business with them next door at the auto shop, which is how they know about me. I took my truck there a few times and have my farm name plastered all over it and that I have chickens, ducks, Guineas and peafowl.

You think they are addicting ........ let me show you addiction....... http://www.westknollfarm.com/

ep.gif
lau.gif
I am fairly new to the area (bought our house last June) and as a matter of fact I am a "**** yankee" moved here from CT a year ago last friday to be with my now husband who was born and raised in Spartanburg (Moore). So, any advice about where to get both Chicken stuff and anything else (like the autoshop) is extremely helpful!! As well as any chicken friends, or girlfriends in general since I really just have my work friends and a couple church ladies here that I know.

Good ole' BYC doesn't let you use certain words. Most of us that used to burn up these pages have moved over to FB now. Not so much censorship. I'll answer your PM later today and let you know more about them.
And don't worry about being from the North, a lot of people are that now live around here. As Dawn at Williams Feed in Campobello tells me, she was born in Michigan but got down here as fast as she could! She is a true southerner at heart! If you ever buy feed there just mention my name. And look at the photo of my lovely Reserve Champion in Show Mottled bantam Cochin photo on the wall. That bird was fed nothing extra for the 9 months before that show and she brooded, hatched and raised chicks and molted all on their grain. Other than being on the ground, too, of course.

There are tons of us around Spartanburg....Inman, Chesnee, Campobello, Pauline.... and we often meet up at shows, too. Anyone interested in joining the Anderson Bantam Breeders Club is welcome. We have a meeting in Greenville off Pelham Rd and I-85 tomorrow night. There are so many wonderful people that are members of these clubs and you do not have to show or breed to be a part of something that is a lot of fun.
Everyone encourages me to give seminars here on my farm but I haven't found any extra time to devote to that, though I don;t mind taking a day to drive and give a lecture on poultry.

I make a lot of my chicken stuff (feeders, waterers, brooders) and then buy some vitamins, medicines and what not from The Pampered Pullet out of FL. Eric is awesome to work with and has really good prices. I also use a lot of natural products for my birds as I like to stay close to the earth.

ep.gif
lau.gif

Nice Site you have might I ask why you don't Breed the D'uccle anymore? I Just started Whit Chickens about 1 year ago 10 Breeds of birds and Now getting into Quail. But was just wondering if there is something I need to know about the d"uccle Chickens!

Quote: Oh, no! They are awesome birds. However, I have had and still have so many birds that I had spread myself too thin. When I got down to numbers it showed the d'Uccle just did not produce enough eggs or interest to pay for their space. I still have one white hen and the Gold Neck Booted Bantam that I keep together as pets. I dearly love the breeds but can't do everything I want to do. My main focus is the bantam Cochin and with so many peafowl coming to live here I have to give up a lot of what hasn't been doing as well for me.
I am always trying to keep my numbers of birds under 700 as I work this place alone and their isn't enough hours in the day or energy in this old body to do it all anymore.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom