South Carolina

That's awesome...well maybe we can meet some place? The project pair you have...how old are they? What are you asking for them and the EE? No chance of something a little older you can part with hen wise? I would love to get one already laying. I bought my kids an EE last spring her name is Gracie and Gracie gives us a light brown egg each or every other day lol so much for that color we waited on for 7months haha! But we love her!

That's awesome...well maybe we can meet some place? The project pair you have...how old are they? What are you asking for them and the EE? No chance of something a little older you can part with hen wise? I would love to get one already laying. I bought my kids an EE last spring her name is Gracie and Gracie gives us a light brown egg each or every other day lol so much for that color we waited on for 7months haha! But we love her!
The project pair is 4 months old. There is a chance she will lay brown or white. They are F1 crosses, and the hen lays green eggs. I am keeping some of the F1 generation, but this girl does not have muffs or a beard. I am only keeping ones with muffs, beards, and pea combs.

Might want to look into some heritage breeds as well. Beautiful birds and you're helping preserve historic bloodlines.

How odd that this was a mere week ago! Now there is more than simply a hint of spring in the air. I have chicks on the way in less than a week (Thai, silkie, olive egger, and leghorn/marans cross), first time dragging out the incubator this year, so fingers crossed I have a good hatch. This hatch is more of a test of fertility than anything. First time hatching eggs from the thais, olive egger, and leghorns. I also have a few turkey eggs slipped under two broody silkies, which is a fertility check as well as I've never hatched from these new hens.
Our tractor supply has "mixed pullets" which appear to all be silver (or gold, I can't ever tell them apart as chicks) laced wyandottes, which is confusing. I think if you label 'mixed' you should have more than one breed in the bin, but oh well. We also have straight run white rocks, red pullets, and mallard ducklings. We may get some white rocks, and a pair of ducklings (getting ducklings from TSC is somewhat of a yearly tradition here). If they get cornish crosses we may try our hand at those this year.

Last edited:
Hello. I recently moved to SC from OK where I was doing 'duck rescue'. I have a young male pekin who needs a home, as he's just too active for my elderly and gimpy ducks now that spring is starting to arrive. I'm in the Columbia area but willing to drive him an hour if I can find him a good home. If you're further away, perhaps we could meet up partway. I put a thread about him and some pictures in the re-homing forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...1-year-old-male-pekin-duck-looking-for-a-home
I would love to find him a BYC home as then I know he'd be well-cared for. Please PM or email me if you are interested at all or know someone who is. I would like for him to have a duck friend but he doesn't need to have a pond. Thanks very much for considering him.

Back
Top Bottom