South Carolina

After firing off that smarty question in response to yours, I am at a loss as to how to advise you. Any way you can cover the top? I am hoping to see someone with more knowledge than me advise you about what is best. Good luck.
I am by no means an expert (I've had my chickens for less than a week) but with the millions of books and internet postings I read prior to getting them, I would say for most of the time they need to be in a covered run and only allowed to free range when you can be there to supervise. But I could be completely wrong on this...

After firing off that smarty question in response to yours, I am at a loss as to how to advise you. Any way you can cover the top? I am hoping to see someone with more knowledge than me advise you about what is best. Good luck.
You always run the risk of losing birds to predators by free ranging. I for one do free range my laying flock (all large fowl) when we are home and haven't had a problem yet. That being said, I used to free range my bantams as well and lost my OEGB rooster to a hawk because of it so they stay in their coop now. A covered run is always safer though. I know folks who use mesh netting or chicken wire over top of a chain link kennel. There are always predators that can reach in chain link too though (like racoons).

Last edited:
With my old flock I had a topless run, but it did have a lot of tree cover. No way for a bird of prey to swoop down, but in the end a raccoon must have climbed up a tree outside the run, jumped trees, and climbed down a tree inside. Wiped out my flock in two days. :(

My other chickens have 1 1/2 acres of pasture and woods to roam around in with the goats and a Great Pyrenees. They have been doing this for many years with no problem. I did see a small hawk chase one once, but the chicken was able to "fly" far enough to get away from it. I want to get some Blue Copper Marans and Olive Eggers (IF I CAN FIND SOME!!!!). My plan is to make a coop inside this pasture, because I do want another rooster. If I don't need a top it will be about 20 to 25 feet square. If I have to cover it I can make it about 6 by 30 feet. Thanks for all the responses!

LROACH711, I see a Blue Copper as....... do you raise them?
EggieRowe, that's sad about the raccoon.

Last edited:
Does anyone have two roosters with several hens running free range? I had two roosters once, but they fought. One was an Americanau, and one is a large mixed rooster. It seems like people do have more than one rooster together with no problems.

My other chickens have 1 1/2 acres of pasture and woods to roam around in with the goats and a Great Pyrenees.  They have been doing this for many years with no problem.  I did see a small hawk chase one once, but the chicken was able to "fly" far enough to get away from it.  I want to get some Blue Copper Marans and Olive Eggers (IF I  CAN FIND SOME!!!!).  My plan is to make a coop inside this pasture, because I do want another rooster.  If I don't need a top it will be about 20 to 25 feet square.  If I have to cover it I can make it about 6 by 30 feet. Thanks for all the responses!

LROACH711, I see a Blue Copper as....... do you raise them?
EggieRowe, that's sad about the raccoon. 

That is one from me. She hatched out eggs from me and raised her.

I do NOT need any turkeys, haha. However, I would love to find some EEs, pullets, for laying. :)
bun.gif
Any way to tell if any of those will be available? I tried the site and forum links, but not showing up.
I will be bringing lots of EE eggs for hatching and chicks. Some will be out of my blue wheaten Ameraucana roo, Emory Lewis, and some by my wheaten roo, Hawkeye. Might have a few OEs in there, too.

I will be bringing lots of EE eggs for hatching and chicks. Some will be out of my blue wheaten Ameraucana roo, Emory Lewis, and some by my wheaten roo, Hawkeye. Might have a few OEs in there, too.
I was right this is going to be dangerous... Not ready for hatching but I might want some chicks!

I know this is a chicken site but this guy turned up on my porch last night and I am hoping to find the owner. I know some of you are in my area... so if you might recognize this dog, please let me know..

Does anyone have two roosters with several hens running free range?  I had two roosters once, but they fought.  One was an Americanau, and one is a large mixed rooster.  It seems like people do have more than one rooster together with no problems.

:raises hand: Yep, I do. However, there is definitely a Sr and a Jr Roo. But there is a lot (a lot!) of space for the Jr to run away. Sr is some sort of brick red mutt - red hackles, black tail, white skin and coronation comb, and Jr is a hatchery RIR, fwiw.

Back
Top Bottom