South Carolina

Does anyone know if it is legal in SC to live trap and dispatch via .22LR, a nuisance raccoon on my property?
I saw my first one since living here for 8 years and it almost got to my chickens.

Are you in the city or out in the country? If it's the first one you've seen in 8 years just trap it and take it for a long drive. Release 20 or 30 miles away in some woods. I think I recently read 8 miles is the range of a male coon but populations must be low in your area if only 1 every 8 years! Or like a county animal control officer said once- if it kills your livestock it is your right to dispatch it. Don't brag and cause a ruckus, just take care of the problem and rest easier:)

Are you in the city or out in the country? If it's the first one you've seen in 8 years just trap it and take it for a long drive. Release 20 or 30 miles away in some woods. I think I recently read 8 miles is the range of a male coon but populations must be low in your area if only 1 every 8 years! Or like a county animal control officer said once- if it kills your livestock it is your right to dispatch it. Don't brag and cause a ruckus, just take care of the problem and rest easier:)
Very simular to what I was told.....SSS....shoot, shovel, shut up.....

The same here in nc. I had a neighbors dog get after my girls a caught the dog and then called animal control. When they arrived I called the owner of the dog and told him to come get his dog. When he got there I had the animal control officer to explain to him that I have all rights to stop any animal in my yard to protect my chickens via broom to a gun. If I would have just told the owner that myself then it would cause animosity between us. Now he has his dog in a lot so it don't roam and I'm sure he has told all the other neighbors also.

Very simular to what I was told.....SSS....shoot, shovel, shut up.....

I was leaning towards that remedy.
I live in the country, have neighbors, but I doubt would say anything even if they knew.
I think relocation comes with legal implications and I don't want anyone else to inherit my problem.

Hi. I live in Easley/Powdersville as well. We currently have 29 chickens and have been doing this for a couple of years. Glad to know there's a neighbor!

Back
Top Bottom