South Carolina

Upstate SC (Taylors area outside Greenville). Just getting started with chickens. Coop almost in place; just needs the framing on the run and hardware cloth put up... then its feeders and a waterer before we're welcoming home some chickens :)

Upstate SC (Taylors area outside Greenville).  Just getting started with chickens.  Coop almost in place; just needs the framing on the run and hardware cloth put up... then its feeders and a waterer before we're welcoming home some chickens :)

Welcome to the World of Chickens! I am loving it. What kind Of chickens will you be raising?

Welcome to the World of Chickens! I am loving it. What kind Of chickens will you be raising?
Will depend on what I can get locally. I have been chatting with one of the locals from this thread about some pullets (Sussex, RIR, and a Faverolle)

My end goal is to start with between 3-5 and then add 2-3 each year over the next two years up to the max of 8 we are technically allowed. It will be for egg production but I doubt my wife or son will let any culling occur so I'm sure a conversion to full on pet status will occur in their retirement years :)

Upstate SC (Taylors area outside Greenville).  Just getting started with chickens.  Coop almost in place; just needs the framing on the run and hardware cloth put up... then its feeders and a waterer before we're welcoming home some chickens :)

Welcome! We are in Spartanburg. We got our nice chicks from Meyer Hatchery last spring.

Does anyone have a good source for feed in the upstate (Greenville area)? Organic is not a requirement, but I like to shop local and know where things come from so I can trust and verify the sourcing of the feed. If I can trust a grower/producers methods then organic is not of immediate concern.

Thanks!

We're having this conversation on the Upstate SC Poultry facebook group. So far, not having great luck on the affordable organic/no-spray feed front. Best price around seems to be Reedy Fork organic from the grain loft in greer. They have drop off points all around the area once a month. But, it is $30-35/50lbs.

Hey guys I'm from Charleston. I have my first set of hens in a brooder right now but I think after we finish the coop this weekend I might buy two or three laying hens because I'm already tired of waiting for eggs, I don't want to wait another 4 or 5 months. Too bad I can't find anyone near me selling anything decent.

Back
Top Bottom