South Dakota?

I have had lots of breeds - dominique, wyandottes, easter eggers, delaware, speckled sussex, black australorps, buff orpingtons - and meat chickens. I am replacing my entire flock this spring. I have speckled sussex, red sex links, one turken and seven assorted bantams (silkies, easter eggers, cochins - my daughter wants to show them!) in the brooder right now. The speckled sussex are my all-time favorite and the sex links that I've had have been sweet birds and great egg-layers.

What do you have?

My favorite are the Buff Orpingtons, though I have raised a few other types: Leghorn, Rhode Island Red, Black Australorps, Speckled Sussex and a few waterfowl.

However, even though he is only 10 months old, he must be getting the job done, as I wanted those speckled sussex, I waited to put eggs under her, and then I wanted to put a dozen under her at once, and I found two eggs under her, so I took those eggs out. Then felt kind of bad, when I opened them and saw something was growing in there. Darn it. But hopefully that will mean that all of the eggs I did put under her are fertile.
Why not simply candle any that you take out of the nest? My aunts did that for years, using a simple system of a soup can, with a small hole cut in the bottom and a table lamp. I tried it last year and found it worked just fine for candling. Low cost too!

I am in rural Hermosa. If there is any one interested in Bantam longtails, I would like to meet them. I have Ohiki and Phoenix in the incubator. I am hopeful to have bantam Ohiki,and Phoenix and large size Dominique chickens by summer. thanks Cal

Last edited:
D&M can get them in. She works very well with a person.

At the lady near Hermosa, I teach in Red Shirt! So we are neighbors!

I am currently praying for a broody, I lost my good one last year.
hu.gif

I have a rooster, and I am going to start keeping track how many fertilized eggs I am getting each day. But I would also like to add some other types of chickens.

MrsK

D&M can get them in. She works very well with a person.

At the lady near Hermosa, I teach in Red Shirt! So we are neighbors!

I am currently praying for a broody, I lost my good one last year.
hu.gif

I have a rooster, and I am going to start keeping track how many fertilized eggs I am getting each day. But I would also like to add some other types of chickens.

MrsK
Is D&M a hatchery? Where are they located? I live very close to Hermosa also.

I looked up D&M on google. I just found out that I have already bought chickens from them before. Thank you for telling me about them.. I just totally forgot! I'll call and see if they can get in some Wyandotte's.

~AnnElise

D & M is a feed store, it is located on the north side of hwy 44, headed east out of Rapid City. I don't think it is past Jolly Lane, but in that area. If you give them a call, they can give better directions.

She gets chicks in all spring, and is real willing to work with you, and you can get chicken feed too. May not be real high quality chicks, just hatchery qualitiy.

I am Monica Knuppe, It is nice to "meet" you!

MrsK

D & M is a feed store, it is located on the north side of hwy 44, headed east out of Rapid City. I don't think it is past Jolly Lane, but in that area. If you give them a call, they can give better directions.

She gets chicks in all spring, and is real willing to work with you, and you can get chicken feed too. May not be real high quality chicks, just hatchery qualitiy.

I am Monica Knuppe, It is nice to "meet" you!

MrsK
Yes, I am familiar with Jolly Lane. We actually have bought hay from D&M.

Do you know anyone who sells full grown hens? DH really doesn't want to raise chicks. He doesn't like the idea of chicks in the house.

Glad to meet you too!

Ask at D&M, two or three years ago, come August, I lost most of my flock. She knew this woman, who was older, who raised chicks and sold at point of lay. I went and bought 6 or 8 of them. But I don't know if she does it any more.

I don't know what kind of hens you have now, or if you do have any, but several breeds are prone to going broody. In my opinion, a broody hen is the only way to raise chicks. She does all the work, outside! You can either have her hatch out eggs, or buy chicks to place under her after she has been broody for about 3 weeks, or a combination of the two.

She will keep them warm in weather well below freezing. The chicks are healthy and strong. And there is no reintroduction issues, (which can be bloody nightmares) to the rest of the flock.

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom