South Dakota?

Ask at D&M, two or three years ago, come August, I lost most of my flock. She knew this woman, who was older, who raised chicks and sold at point of lay. I went and bought 6 or 8 of them. But I don't know if she does it any more.

I don't know what kind of hens you have now, or if you do have any, but several breeds are prone to going broody. In my opinion, a broody hen is the only way to raise chicks. She does all the work, outside! You can either have her hatch out eggs, or buy chicks to place under her after she has been broody for about 3 weeks, or a combination of the two.

She will keep them warm in weather well below freezing. The chicks are healthy and strong. And there is no reintroduction issues, (which can be bloody nightmares) to the rest of the flock.

MrsK
Thank you! I'll call and see if D&M knows anyone.

I have a Quail Bantam hen that raised two batches of chicks this winter. Under her care, only one died (and he drowned). I never had to do anything except bring them food and water. She kept all eight chicks warm during the winter.

I also found out that chicks are healthiest when raised by mama.

Yes, I do have chickens. Silkie, Barred Rock, Easter Egger, Quail Bantam, ect. I also have one guinea.

~AnnElise

Last edited:
The Red Rooster, I see you are in South Dakota. Can I ask what part? WR/ER? I'm east of Brookings. Nice to find other BYC ppl from South Dakota!
Thank you! I'll call and see if D&M knows anyone.

I have a Quail Bantam hen that raised two batches of chicks this winter. Under her care, only one died (and he drowned). I never had to do anything except bring them food and water. She kept all eight chicks warm during the winter.

I also found out that chicks are healthiest when raised by mama.

Yes, I do have chickens. Silkie, Barred Rock, Easter Egger, Quail Bantam, ect. I also have one guinea.

~AnnElise

Are you there?
big_smile.png

Yeh, I'm here also. I'm in Brookings county myself. Curious where other South Dakotans are that are members of BYC

D&M can get them in. She works very well with a person.

At the lady near Hermosa, I teach in Red Shirt! So we are neighbors!

I am currently praying for a broody, I lost my good one last year.
hu.gif

I have a rooster, and I am going to start keeping track how many fertilized eggs I am getting each day. But I would also like to add some other types of chickens.

MrsK
I have heard that having more than one rooster helps the breeding "attitude" of the dominant rooster. Any theory on that? I'm figuring I will sorta figure on that method but with a wire between my bantam roosters since they are different breeds and I want pure lines coming from the breeding "pair". I ordered 3 in a straight run. Hoping my odds will be that I get two hens and one rooster. If murphy's law isn't in place and I end up with 3 roosters! LOL

And I forgot to add that we've had to cull both roosters we've had because we just can't seem to get a nice one. Maybe one of the bantams will be a roo (and nice?)
idunno.gif

I was reading about this. I heard you HAVE to make sure you really handle your rooster while he is young. Basically make him a "pet" of sorts. This helps greatly to reduce his effort to try "out ranking you" in the pecking order of the flock. Also they said be aware that if dogs and kids and others torment the roo, this can teach him even more so to be mean. He doesn't need any help in becoming territorial since its his hormones that will push him that way. So work to make sure you aren't socializing him in such a way that you are giving him the signs of him being higher on the pecking order than you are.

Yes, I am still involved in chickens, and I went to SDSU! But I am about as far away from you as I can get and still be in SD, I live on a ranch a little east and north of Buffalo Gap, SD.

I think a nice rooster is more the luck of the draw. There are many stories on here where a good pet went wrong! In fact, I have read that making a pet out of them, can make it worse, as they have no fear of you.

I did not handle my Easter Egger Roo. He and I are co roosters. He does not get close to me and so far is very polite to me. I have grandchildren that come occasionally. I do not let them near the roo. I like him very well, but I am not trusting that little brain, and tons of hormones with my grand babies.

Mrs.K

I think a nice rooster is more the luck of the draw. There are many stories on here where a good pet went wrong! In fact, I have read that making a pet out of them, can make it worse, as they have no fear of you.

I did not handle my Easter Egger Roo. He and I are co roosters. He does not get close to me and so far is very polite to me. I have grandchildren that come occasionally. I do not let them near the roo. I like him very well, but I am not trusting that little brain, and tons of hormones with my grand babies.

Mrs.K
I totally understand that Mrs K! I can't say I'd let my grandkids near any roo! I grew up in eastern Colorado and I remember the roosters my aunts had on their places! Mean little things. All us kids learned to always carry a branch or "walking stick" with us to defend ourselves in the farm yard! The worst was the tom turkey at one Aunt's place and the Roo at the other aunt's! The roo would wait for you to go INTO the outhouse and then wait for you to open the door and then pounce! He did that One to many times! Apparently he failed to notice one time it wasn't his normal victims who went in, but my aunt! So when he attacked her as she was coming out, she made her mind up he had served his purpose and was going to die before the day was out! He did! The tom turkey at my other aunt's house did similar "guard duty" at the outhouse, but he never actually attacked you but more scared you half-out of your mind (because we all had experienced the roo). I think that tom thoroughly enjoyed the mind game he did on us all!

Hey fellow south dakotans. glad to see some people from the hills. I just started this new adventure and am super ready to being this journey with my chicks.

Back
Top Bottom