Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Pics

ChickenAl

Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Putnam cty, NY
Most of the New Yorkers on the forum are either from central, western or way upstate, NY. I'm looking to start a thread with those of us from the southern zone. Figure there might be a few of us chickenheads this far downstate. I'm in Putnam county and thought by starting from Dutchess county to all points south, we should be able to get some backyarders here to chat it up a bit.

Most of us in the lower tier have our own unique set of circumstances. Things like; smaller lots, restrictions, access to feeds and supplies, and weather patterns that are different from other parts of the state could bring us all together to help each other.

So, I'm starting this thread off to see if there is any interest within the forum members from this neck of the woods.

Hope you will join in and make this an active thread whereby we all can benefit. It would be nice to share a few laughs, shed a few tears, and try to figure out how to make it work from the place where upstate begins (according to NYC folks,) down to where the traffic gets way too heavy.

Thanks,
ChickenAl

We are getting quite a few friends on this thread and it is not easy to keep track of everyone's first name. So, we are adding this list of BYC nicknames (for those who want to be added) with first names next to them;

Smkchick - Suzanne
ChickenAl - Al
Magsrags - Maggie
chickendude - Rich
Thespoiledchicken - Trish
Luvmy33chicks - Justine
mjuenem - Mark
Carolyn252 - Carolyn

Last edited:
I read this thread, then a few others and my thoughts keep coming back to the subjects of people judging others and the inevitability of grief.

It is a beautiful thing that people have different values, and tastes. I'm older now, and find that I have less desire to please people than I did. There is no one on earth who has exactly the same feelings, likes, dislikes etc as Me. We are all unique, yet we want acceptance, yet, we may not always get that, as others too have their own set of likes etc. I think aiming for respect is perhaps more realistic, and respecting ourselves is a good start. Having chickens is unusual to some, and some people fear the unusual. But knowing ourselves and knowing that we are good people is really important, and our judgement of ourselves is more important than others judgements of us.

And, grief is a very uncomfortable feeling, but comes to us all many times over our lives. Caring, is opening the door to being hurt, as is loving, but the world is a bleak place without love and caring. Sometimes parents try to spare their children uncomfortable experiences, and that is because they love them. But, some parents know that grief is inevitable and so allow their children to feel the uncomfortable feelings while they are with them so they can help them through the painful times, and the children will have the experience to fall back on later in life when they are independent.

All of us feel sad when we loose a chick or a bird whe have had for years. I say GOOD. I don't ever want to become so insensitive that I can't feel sad when an animal that I care for dies. What kind of a person would I be then?

Went out to the coop to straighten it up. Company coming for dinner. Noticed Ginger in the nest box with Daphne and Poppy hovering. Everyone was uncommonly quiet. Then suddenly...... the "Egg Song"
D.gif
I have never heard one before but knew it and what it meant. Ran to the house to get DH. She was still singing by the time we got back!! I opened the nest box lid. Jaw dropped. Low and behold! My very 1st egg ever!!!!
celebrate.gif
Absolutely eggciting!!!
yippiechickie.gif
It was still warm................

Ginger is a Buff Orpington and still small. I just can't believe that she was the 1st to lay.

Just go out super early on Saturday and have breakfast to beat the traffic.
If anyone does go to the tour please be very careful. Go to cvs or micheals and buy a cheap pair of flip flops. Do not go back onto your propery with them.throw them in the garbage.i would even be stripping down and putting my clothes in a bag before I go back into my house. Showering goes without saying. Sorry OCD microbiologist.You do not want to bring anything home to your girls.

I feel like I live in Seattle without the needle. The girls are being real troopers with all this terrible weather. I feel bad for them.

Brooklyndiane, what gorgeous girls! We have a Pawhut coop-- and we love it! So incredibly easy to clean, keep and maintain.

Rosie- I. am. in. love. with. LOVEY!
love.gif
What a gorgeous girl she is! I'm glad she's okay from the dog bite on her back. She's a good Mama, too. Those chicks are adorabkle!

"Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

Today we lost our beloved boxer, Max. He was the most amazing creature (and biggest clown) I have had the pleasure of spending time with and he was always by my side. He will be sorely missed. He trained himself, at 9 years old, to be on the lookout for hawks and anytime he heard one he would race outside and chase it away and then check on the girls. They all shared his water (and occasionally his food) dish with him.

I hope the getting along thing is as soon as tomorrow. Maybe I'll post a picture of Dr. King in the coop in honor of the holiday and all. I have a dream that one day little Rhode Island Reds and little Black Australorps can live in peace.
yippiechickie.gif

Oh Al, please please please buy a pink doggie sweater for your hen! I think that would just about make my month. :) I am not familiar with Blu-Kote, but I am familiar with Gentian Violet and that will be on your fingers until the skin wears off. They use that to stain cells for slide prep. You can use disposable gloves for hair dye but whatever's on your hand is staying on for a long time. Sorry. :-(

As far as toughening up your hens for the snow, well, I did shovel a path to their coop. Only one came out the first day, and then weirdly enough she just took off for the pine trees where I hadn't shoveled or put any treats out. I'm not really sure what was going through her chick pea sized brain, but she did seem a little chilly when she got back. As the snow melted, one of the other hens came out onto the shoveled area to eat treats, but my Easter Egger still refused to set foot outside until the snow melted completely. I think she's a real Latina chicken.

I hear what you're saying about taking care of hens not being all fun all the time. After losing one of my favorites to cancer earlier this month I realized just how fragile they are. If I was able to keep a rooster and rebuild my flock on my own maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but since I can only have 6 or less each one means more to me.

Back
Top Bottom