Space between well and coop

If you are using the water from your shallow well I would follow the 100' recommendation. Surface runoff water can bring contaminants into your well. Right now you state "all you are going to have is 4 or 5 chickens". One day, without you even realize it, "chicken math" will enter the picture and you will be glad your coop is 100' away. It's better to be safe than sorry. 😉

Hi everyone,

I have a shallow well, and my township recommends that I place the coop (that I'm going to build) 100' away.

What are your thoughts? What distance is safe? Would 75' be okay? Even less?

I plan on no more than 5-6 chickens. Coop and run will be 6' X 10-12'.

How close is your well?
Mine is closer (maybe 50 ft?), but my well is 450' deep and the water runs off on the opposite side downhill where the septic field drains. The grade of the land and natural runoff is probably a factor to consider. When it rains hard, does the water drain toward or away from the well?

Mine is closer (maybe 50 ft?), but my well is 450' deep and the water runs off on the opposite side downhill where the septic field drains. The grade of the land and natural runoff is probably a factor to consider. When it rains hard, does the water drain toward or away from the well?
The water drains away from the well, and the chicken coop would be in the lower area. Good things to consider. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom