Special needs chickens contest

This is my little hen named Poppy and she is a year and a half old.
71166_dec_09_078.jpg

This is Ruby with her backwards leg. She is a RIR around 6 mos. old.

58484_dscn0076.jpg

Last edited:
Here is Lulu, our lame, sometimes house chicken. She doesn't live with the other girls because they peck her too much and don't let her eat or drink. Here she is resting my her friend the fridge - I think she likes the heat.

39800_lulu5.jpg

Here you can see her one foot stepping on the other. It think it is her hip not her leg because she has trouble lifting her foot high enough so she doesn't step on her other toes. It is worse in cool, damp weather.

39800_lulu3.jpg

Last week I had a thread about Lulu on my blog and will have more Lulu stories there from time to time.

http://mountaingardengleanings.blogspot.com/2010/11/story-of-lulu-part-one.html

For a while we had a huge problem with raccoons getting into our grower pen....as a result a lot of birds were killed, eaten, and maimed. What drove me nuts is that the coons would come back almost every night, and wouldn't even eat 99% of the birds. They would leave dead bodies...and a lot more with missing limbs. A lot of them died or stress or infection. One of our survivors, is a little black and white hen. She has one leg as a result of the attack, and has earned herself the name ''Drumstick''.
At first she just laid down most of the day and I would give her her own food bowl and set it next to her and would help her drink. But this little impatient lady decided she wanted food when SHE wanted it and that was that, and taught herself to walk again. At first, just one slow hop at a time. And now ....well I had a really hard time catching her to put her someplace separate for a photo. You can see in the one photo I just have a pic of her int he background mid-leap running away from me. I think she believes i'm worming everyone again. She gets along fine now. Even hopping in the milk crate to lay the occasional egg. She's quite bossy with the other hens. And boy can she MOVE. She reminds me of the little lamp from PIXAR.
Drumstick1.jpg

Drumstick.jpg

This is Samantha. Here is a thread for her:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=184897&p=1

23256_p1010013.jpg

She is about 4 years old. As a chick, she was stepped on badly. After that incident, she couldn't keep up with her mom and I took her inside. She is a half silkie, part EE and who knows what.
She went blind at gradually at about age 3. She finds food and water by the sound of other chickens eating and drinking, and by memory as I found out recently.
She is truly amazing! She seems happy, despite her condition.
When she had chicks, she was a great mother!

And then there is Butch. He lost both of his feet from frostbite. Without us knowing, he had waded in a puddle, in the cold, causing frostbite. He gets around just fine and is just a normal rooster, minus the feet.

23256_img_2515.jpg

23256_img_2499.jpg

69838_chickens_018.jpg

This is Limpy the Roo. He got his leg stepped on by a horse when he was a chick and we never thought he would make it, and here he is 1 1/2 years later. He lives at the stables where I keep my horse and I am his buddy (actually I think I am his slave). I feed and water him everyday, make sure the feed bin is in the right spot so he can jump up to roost. I have noticed lately he has learned that if he crows I will come running and give him food/water. He will even let me touch him sometimes. Now, who trained who????
yippiechickie.gif

Great pics everyone! I especially loved Drumstick's story. Buffy's 20 weeks old now and still seems to be doing fine. Although I do worry about her getting enough calories with this cold weather and snow since the chickens have decided it's not worth going outside and there isn't room for a more accessible feeder inside the coop. We trimmed her beak again yesterday and I'm thinking we need to do it more often. The length on it wasn't too bad, but she had a lot of yuck trapped in both the lower beak and the roof of her mouth/upper beak.

Some updated pictures from yesterday:
52978_buffydec52010.jpg

52978_buffydec2010.jpg

What causes that to happen? I had a silkie/ee mix that hatched out just fine. They went outside in a pen and other than feeding and watering they where pretty much left to do what they wanted. Then one day I noticed one had a crooked beak. She ate and drank just fine and was just as big as the others she hatched with but her beak was not only crooked but the top was curled a little down and the bottom was curled a little up. May be why it's crooked but then why would it curl like it did. Strange.

Back
Top Bottom