Special Treats!!

You can always give your flock garden scraps, compost with no eggs or you can grow produce and you can start a worm farm all you need is a contanier and compost and some worm then let mother nature take over hope this is a litte bit helpfull

Spinach, lettuce, corn, pumpkin. I grow my lettuce and spinach right outside the chicken run so I always grab a few leaves before I pop in and visit the girls. They weren't too fussed on tomatoes and carrots, but they devoured some really finely chopped broccoli that I gave them the other day.

I have a Ninja and I put in oatmeal, granola, sunflower seeds (no shell), sprinkle with cinnamon and grind. I make a large zip lock since my 5 chickens share with my 3 dogs. It is quite funny to see all 8 of them in the yard eating snacks. I also buy watermelon. I am actually freezing the watermelon juice in a cup tonight to give them in the morning. I also make frozen treats for my dogs and make a bowl frozen for my chicks too and they love it. 1 32 oz container of yogurt (plain or vanilla I have used both) 1 tablespoon peanut butter 1 tablespoon honey ( I use local honey from a bee keeper in my area) 1 banana. Again I use my ninja and mix and use ice trays to make for the dogs and a chicken treat cup for the chicks and freeze and hang in the coop the next morning. They finish it off during the day.

Apples, any leftovers, they love macaroni.

My garden is overgrown, with weeds, there aren't enough hours in the day and we just started it this year, so I regularly fill a largish cardboard box with the weeds as i pull them and toss it in the run for them to pick through, and the run still has grass and its own weeds in it.

I'm debating buying a big bag of black oil sun flower seeds for the winter, but I haven't decided yet, I have a few months before the grass quits.

Mine love carrot tops and clover. Now I don't weed until it gets big enough for the chickens. I get them them dried mealworms if I'm feeling indulgent. They go nuts for those.

I read on another thread that tomatoes reduce egg production but poster didn't explain how/why. Any truth to this?

Back
Top Bottom