Speckled Sussex behavior

MotherOfChickens

Songster
Jun 29, 2017
Middle Tennessee
So this isn't any kind of "problem" so to speak, just a behavior I have noticed the last few days in one of my SS pullets who will be a year old next month....

I know that sometimes a hen can crow, and usually it is older, more dominate hens that will do it... this gal, like I said isn't even a year old yet. She isn't exactly crowing either. But I noticed that every morning after I let them out she squawks real loud, like 3 or 4 times then breaks into an egg song (but she hasn't laid). This has become a routine for her... and it just reminds me of how a rooster crows first thing in the morning. (Although some roosters crow all day and all night lol)

Is this common in Speckled Sussex, as I've noticed this breed tends to be excessively vocal. And is that what she is doing? Hen crowing?

Can you get a video of her? upload it to youtube, then provide a link.

I don't think it's breed specific. I have a Barred Plymouth Rock hen that crows sometimes too. I have a rooster as well.
It's sort of funny, I can hear my rooster crow early in the morning, then she crows right after he does. This goes on for a few minutes. Every once in a while she will crow during the day, but mostly it's the rooster.

Can you get a video of her? upload it to youtube, then provide a link.

I don't think it's breed specific. I have a Barred Plymouth Rock hen that crows sometimes too. I have a rooster as well.
It's sort of funny, I can hear my rooster crow early in the morning, then she crows right after he does. This goes on for a few minutes. Every once in a while she will crow during the day, but mostly it's the rooster.

Well the funny thing is, it isnt even an attempt at a "crow"... she squawks a few times then sings a short egg song and that's it. Lol... she doesnt lay an egg until way later in the day.

I'll try and get a video tomorrow when I let them out.

I happen to have a seven-year old Speckled Sussex that crows. All the notes are there, sounds just like a rooster, even with the proper body movements.

Originally I had four SS, and two of them would do some lengthy vocals in the mornings, sounding more like yodeling than crowing. This last SS is the lone survivor of the four. Recently she got a new friend after her last brooder mate died from a bobcat nailing her.

Around day three, she decided to settle the pecking order with her new friend, and of course she came out on top. I was standing right there watching the whole thing. She finished up by crowing three times. This was the first time she had done this.

So, it boils down to three of my SS of four have enjoyed entertaining the flock in this manner.

I happen to have a seven-year old Speckled Sussex that crows. All the notes are there, sounds just like a rooster, even with the proper body movements.

Originally I had four SS, and two of them would do some lengthy vocals in the mornings, sounding more like yodeling than crowing. This last SS is the lone survivor of the four. Recently she got a new friend after her last brooder mate died from a bobcat nailing her.

Around day three, she decided to settle the pecking order with her new friend, and of course she came out on top. I was standing right there watching the whole thing. She finished up by crowing three times. This was the first time she had done this.

So, it boils down to three of my SS of four have enjoyed entertaining the flock in this manner.

I have 2 ss pullets. Both hatchmates. And boy are they vocal. I also have Black Australorps (they are older and dominate to the sussexes) and a Welsummer and they are significantly more quiet in comparison lol... I hope this SS doesnt change her squawk into a crow lol

Neat Carol!
My Freeda does do the neck stretch but her's is a more like r-rrrrrrrrrr :gig Sometimes it's just rrrrrrrrrrrr I laugh every time I hear it, especially at 4am when my rooster crows, then I hear that rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:lau

@MotherOfChickens I bet your hen is probably not quite as loud as rooster with her crow, but some hens can be really noisy. Isn't it interesting. You have a BA that is fairly quiet and mine is a complainer, always fussing about something, sometime while she's eating:rolleyes:

Neat Carol!
My Freeda does do the neck stretch but her's is a more like r-rrrrrrrrrr :gig Sometimes it's just rrrrrrrrrrrr I laugh every time I hear it, especially at 4am when my rooster crows, then I hear that rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:lau

@MotherOfChickens I bet your hen is probably not quite as loud as rooster with her crow, but some hens can be really noisy. Isn't it interesting. You have a BA that is fairly quiet and mine is a complainer, always fussing about something, sometime while she's eating:rolleyes:

Hahaha!!!! Chickens are so funny! Love em!

Back
Top Bottom