Speckled sussex pullet or roo?

A roo or two

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 16, 2013
Florida
My chicks are now 8.5-9 weeks old, so no saddle feathers or hackles to go by yet.

Do you say pullet or roo for this one? All these pics are the same bird.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I have this exact same problem with my light sussex, they are 12 weeks old, one has a comb like yours but all of the others don't have one at all!! Being 12 weeks old does this make it more likely to be a hen as it doesn't have a wattle or saddle feathers. I'm really stressed because my neighbours didnt want me to have a roo and if this chicken suddenly wakes me up at 4am one morning, I donno what I'm going to do!!! Haha

Looks like a cockerel to me. Pullets don't get quite as large/red a comb and wattles at this age as what your bird has.

Do you know when they start to crow?
It varies with each bird. Some roosters start crowing as young as 4-5 weeks of age. Most begin to crow at 8-10 weeks of age. And rarely (especially with Silkies), some roosters don't crow until they are 5+ months of age.

I'd personally guess pullet.

To answer your other question, it depends on the bird. Some roosters (especially bantams) start early, around 5-8 weeks. Other birds may wait for months before they crow for the first time.

Mines a light sussex 12 weeks old, no wattles but a comb which none of my others have, do some just grow faster than others or may it be a dominance thing ?

This is a closeup taken this morning.

I guess I'm gonna be the one with 4/6 chicks that are roos
hmm.png
Oh well, it is what it is. I truly hope that Wyandottes7 is correct.

Last edited:
I agree it's a lot of comb for a pullet of this age, but then again it's not near as red as I'd expect from a cockerel. I'm tentatively saying pullet, but would love to see pics in a few more weeks to see how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom