Speckled Sussex sex?

I got him last week of June as a 1-2 week old chick but he came from a local backyard breeder so genetics may not be the strongest! Thanks for everyone's opinion on our roo!

I will try to find some luck here ... our speckled sussex are 3,5 and 5,5 weeks old
I always read, they are very hard to sex, not sure, but to me it looks very clear?

Also this 3 fellas have some intense "discussions" in the last days

boy 1?

boy 2? ... is the biggest one in the coop

and boy 3 ...the little one only 3,5 weeks now ...the little bossy one

and this is our hope of a girl !! looks different to their 3 mates

thank you everyone for your opinion ... i actually hope, they just develop early and all would turn out as girls. you get attached so quick to the birds.

Hey @emelie ,

My 2 cents...#1 is your cockerel. #2 is strongly suspicious cockerel, number 3 and 4 the jury is still out but looking more like pullets at the moment. Some say that more white feathers on the chest indicate a cockerel. I can tell you mine developed quickly by 3 weeks I knew for sure I had a cockerel But I also think when you keep chickens for a while you develop an earlier ability to sex your flock, mostly due to having studied their behavior over time.

Where did you get your birds? I got mine in May from MyPetchicken, first time with this breed, and have to say I am very pleased. I ordered 3 I ended up with one cockerel that was just nuts. (and he did not have a lot of white chest feathers at all). He ended up in a beautiful coq au vin. But the 2 remaining pullets, are super friendly and curious. One of these 2 pullets, one was my first to lay in this batch of 12 hens and l maybe missed 2 days total since start of lay. She is outpacing my RIR pullets! Yet her "sister" has yet to lay and egg and she doesn't even look like she is thinking about it.

I think if you post again in a couple weeks you will get more definitive answers.

Best of luck!

Dom

Last edited:
I will try to find some luck here ... our speckled sussex are 3,5 and 5,5 weeks old
I always read, they are very hard to sex, not sure, but to me it looks very clear?

Also this 3 fellas have some intense "discussions" in the last days

boy 1?

boy 2? ... is the biggest one in the coop

and boy 3 ...the little one only 3,5 weeks now ...the little bossy one

and this is our hope of a girl !! looks different to their 3 mates

thank you everyone for your opinion ... i actually hope, they just develop early and all would turn out as girls. you get attached so quick to the birds.

1. cockerel
2. cockerel
3. cockerel
4.and well keep an eye on her, but I say pullet!

Back
Top Bottom