Speckled Sussex

I have Speckled Sussex breed. They are 4month and I am wondering myself if a couple are roos. Their tail feathers are pointing up, and fan out slightly.The ones that I blieve are hens seem to have more compact tail feathers. Truly, I am still unsure. I wanted six hens and now it looks like might have roos and 3 hens. I don't have any current pics to share but will try to get some up.

My 3 are 4 months old and I have zero clue, either. I call them "The Big Girls" (mostly out of hopeful thinking and everything else we have are bantam size). Their combs and wattles are barely there, with one having slightly more wattle (1/4"); tails are not showing me anything. One has slightly more tail than the other two. Why are these guys so hard to sex? The way it's looking, we'll have to wait and see who lays eggs ;) I have silver duckwings and BB Browns and they are so easy to sex, even at hatching.

I just wanted to say you'll really enjoy them. I love my Speckled Sussex. I have a variety, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, EE's Barred Rocks, Australorp, Welsummers... but my SS are by far my favorite. Not only they very attractive birds, they have such inquisitive personalities and docile natures. I'll never NOT have an SS in my flock.

I just wanted to say you'll really enjoy them. I love my Speckled Sussex. I have a variety, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, EE's Barred Rocks, Australorp, Welsummers... but my SS are by far my favorite. Not only they very attractive birds, they have such inquisitive personalities and docile natures. I'll never NOT have an SS in my flock.
I am happy to hear that SS are such great birds. I will be getting mine in two weeks and am very excited.

I have 5 SS girls they are 14 months old. I love them they all have great personalities. They were the first chickens I ever had, so I am a little partial to the breed. I added 2 Welsummers and 1 EE this spring. They are 20.5 weeks and still haven't laid yet. I really enjoy all my chicken, I just wish I got them sooner.

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble sexing these boogers! I have SS and light sussex and both breeds have had me guessing. I've got one in each breed that were easy to sex, but the others haven't developed enough to tell roo from hen.

Back
Top Bottom