SpicyDisaster Garden Paradise Project

SpicyDisaster

Songster
May 30, 2021
Eastern WA
Starting this thread to record the progress of turning a wheat field into a garden/chicken paradise. At least that is my goal... we shall see how it turns out. I grew up in the Seattle area but I've always dreamt about getting away from the people and living off the land. I've started and left behind two gardens in the last decade so I'm thankfully not starting from experience-scratch, just ground-scratch. This first post will cover the changes from when the house was first being built around Spring 2021 to present day (Jan-2022).

As you can see in the below photo, brand new construction being built in what was a wheat field until Spring 2021. Now it's just in the middle of the wheat fields (and one day lavender field, the next big project eep!). The area has been compacted for the construction of the house making digging in this soil difficult at best. Current plan is for the garden area to take up the rectangle of space from the end of the garage to the end of the house, roughly 3000 sq feet of ground. Starting with in-ground beds and irrigation that will get upgraded to raised beds as I get older. We built the garage with slanted roof to hopefully launch the West prevalent winds up and over the garden.

2021-04-08.jpg

Here's what it looks like getting painted. I don't seem to have a good post-completion picture handy. The two windows closest to the garage are my office, I work from home so the plan is to be able to see the garden and the chickens from my office for full enjoyment. And yes, that is a garage door on the back of the garage. Our build suggested it as a way to get large things from inside the garage into the garden/yard without having to drive around the chicken run, especially if we put in fencing.

2022-01-02 (3).jpg

View from inside the office. Not the best photo as it was for laughing at Marbu getting blown off the coop roof rather than actual documentation purposes. Straight shot view into the coop door and the garden beds will be in-between. The girls were free-range at this point and loving the wheat that had been spilled by the harvester at the edge of the field yet HATING the wind. To help with the wind we built a straw wind-wall, starting at 3-high but then going up to 5-high. This thing has fallen over several times and been a general PITA. Temporary measure until we get the permanent chain-link run installed. The hardware cloth and wood structure is the brooder coop that the girls grew up in before we moved. We used scrap plywood from the house construction to fully enclose it but removed the panels when we moved to make it light enough to carry. They like it for extra shelter/shade and it gives us a good time-out coop if someone is being a bully or we need to keep track of a specific chicken but don't want to completely separate her.

2022-01-02 (7).jpg

Four hubby and I's fourth anniversary we decided fruit trees counted as "fruit" for the traditional gift and went to the nursery. Got ourselves 2 apples (honeycrisp and cosmic crisp), 2 cherries (bing and rainer), a walnut, 2 autumn blaze maples, and an ornamental pear. I was desperate for trees having grown up around them my entire life, being out in the open for a few months was harder on my psyche than I expected. Buffalu was also excited for the trees aka forbidden pot dirt to dig in.

2022-01-02 (6).jpg

I wasn't joking this dirt is super compacted and rough to dig in. So I enlisted my husband to dig all the tree holes while I planted them. Teamwork makes the dreamwork. Buffulu, Marbu, and Tigris were over inspecting our handiwork on the cherry first thing even before we got the stakes in the ground. We do a berm around the tree so that we can do a soak-watering once a month for the first two years. Straw was layered over top of the berm to help keep the chickens from digging the tree roots up. Tigris is the worst offender and is appeased with straw.

2022-01-02 (4).jpg

Unfortunately in November we lost two chickens to a coyote within a week of each other. This was our second and third loss, with one back in July. Not knowing when the permanent run would be built (waiting on materials) we put up a temporary wire fence to keep them contained. The girls do NOT appreciate captivity after having had the entire plot to roam. They even more so do not appreciate being unable to reach the fresh wheat grass sprouts in the field. Too bad so sad for them as the coyote was ballsy enough to come up within 15 yards of us and watch what we were doing while installing this fencing and then come back the next day to lay on the ground under a tree watching them inside the fencing. Ultimately we had to put construction fencing up and around the top of the bales to keep the girls in, they laughed at our straw bale wall attempt to keep them away from the luscious greens.

2022-01-02 (5).jpg

Once the fence was installed, it was a daily occurance to chase down Tigris and put her back in the run. She would just magic her way out and I wish I had a camera to figure it out as she was the only one. Even with one wing clipped she laughed and made her way to the compost bin. So double-clipped was the next attempt and she got out less... but still got out. I had to accept that she may just become coyote food out of sheer stubborness.

Fast forward to December and the materials finally came in to get our permanent run installed. It is 30' x 30' of 6' high chain link. I talked the hubby out of 8' tall fencing to save $$ though I partially regret that decision now. We shall see if a coyote ever gets into the run. While the poles were being installed for the run, the girls were let out to free range as we couldn't keep them cordoned off from the coop. Within three hours of being let out, I chased off the coyote trying to catch Buffulu and Nali. UGH. I've never loathed an animal as much as I do that coyote. Thankfully the run was finished just a few days later without incidience and the girls have been contained ever since. Even Tigris has yet to escape though I have a feeling that has to do with the snow more than her not being able to get out.

Below is a shot of the current temporary run setup that runs along the side of the garage over top of the garden space. In the spring, the temporary run will be changed to extend from the left-side of the run and be a pasture for the girls while we rototill all their fertilizer goodness into the garden bed area.

2022-01-02 (1).jpg

The below is a look out over what will be the garden beds. The blueberries will be put in the ground once we have irrigation lined up and the beds outlined on the ground. In the background you can see our compost bin with the orange construction netting we used to fruitlessly keep the chickens out of it. Underneath this snow is all bare soil just waiting to be worked with. I am so excited to get to build this out over the next few years!
2022-01-02.jpg

Been dinking around with the Farmer's Almanac Garden Planner while I have the day off. Making updates to our outlines based on recent changes in run size (was going to be 20x25 but I love my girls so bigger it went). Brown are planned pathways that the main irrigation lines will be underneath for easy-access to add off-shoots later if desired.

1641244927802.png

We have half the trees in and will get the two plums and two apricot trees in the spring. The grape trellis for wind block and shade likely won't go in until next year, however, the chicken raspberry patches will get started this spring. The chickens loved the raspberry patch at our old house so they get two of them here, one in the run and one in the pasture.

The 30x30 pasture will be seeded with a mixture of wheat, rye, buckwheat, mustard, clover, daikon radish, and turnip as soon as the ground is workable. We're hoping to have the girls able to forage again by late April if possible.

Yesterday I setup the new solar panel and camera for keeping an eye on the field (coyote habit tracking). It was such a nice day with no wind so I decided to try out a time lapse video while hubby and I seeded the chicken pasture area. A learning curve video though still entertaining.
Discoveries:
1. Set up time lapse before project starts not mid-project (didn't think of it until after I'd already seeded the area).
2. 5 second intervals are a bit too long, will try 3 seconds next time.
3. Double the timeframe of expected completion (missed final bale and watering).
4. Turn off motion tracking for project videos.

Seed spreading occurred before the video. Then hubby raked the top inch of soil to cover them and I spread out straw over the top. This is to help protect the pasture from the direct sun and from the wild birds. We want the sprouts to be able to survive long enough to establish. Watered the straw to help keep it in place as today we are at 35mpg winds. We usually get a decent day or two of wind out here each week so coverage is a must to make sure our Rye seeds don't make it out into the wheat field or we will be picking it out by hand...

Last edited:
Seeding mixture (pardon the caps, it's a copy & paste list):

WINTER RED WHEAT
MIGHTY MUSTARD® TRIFECTA POWER BLEND™
PACER FORAGE TURNIP
ROXANNE (RADISH)
FIXATION BALANSA CLOVER
ANNUAL RYE GRASS
GROUNDHOG DAIKON RADISH
NEW ZEALAND WHITE CLOVER

The goal is for quick growth for the girls to have a pasture area in time for April planting season. We still need to rototill the garden bed area where the girls are currently fenced into.

20220206_140022.jpg

Still no sprouts on the pasture area. I wasn't truly expecting any though I still hoped maybe with this warm spell we'd see something. We were supposed to be lounging on the beach in Hawaii currently but the universe has other plans. Instead we are lounging at home in quarantine as COVID goes through the house one by one. Funny times universe, funny times.

Using my seclusion to build a timeline of seed planting and brainstorm garden beds setup. I considered looking into raised beds this year until I saw the price of lumber. Thinking l will do one raised bed for the lettuces and then wait on the rest. Maybe do fresh mounds of compost. We shall see.

Irrigation for the house plot is going in this week along with the garden area and chicken pasture. Once that is done we can start fencing in the pasture and get the girls off my garden space. They are gonna miss being able to sit on the porch and watch us so I'm hoping the pasture decides to grow at some point soon to give them greens to forage.

A whole lot in limbo and I can do diddly squat right now except think and plan and wait. At least there are chicks to count down to as well! Shipping in 13 days.

I considered looking into raised beds this year until I saw the price of lumber.
My raised beds are just mounded earth. To help keep them mounded, I have rocks on the sides. It helps, but doesn't stop them from settling and spreading. Bigger rocks would be better, but I'm limited by what I can move.

In between the beds are walkways that I cover with thatch to help keep down the weeds. In the fall, the thatch goes on top of the beds. It's been trampled quite a bit by then and is pretty well broken down physically. I put compost on top of that to "renew" the bed for the next spring.

Most of my garden is built on the cheap with sweat equity. A lot of sweat equity! :gig

I hit another Fred's yesterday and they had a couple kinds of beets, a couple kinds of lettuce, some mixed chard, and parsley. They're all planted and looking good.
20220215_112712.jpg

20220215_112720.jpg

One of our California white bunnies gave birth to 7 bunnies last night. She'd been bred to a mixed black bunny we'd gotten from a neighbor and 6 of her kits are black and one is pink with a dusting of white fuzz. So cute, I'll post pics in a couple days, this is her first litter so we don't want to upset her too much.

Oh and on the subject of gardening:
All the Plants.jpg

Mods, could you move this post to the "What did you do in the garden today?" Thread? I mis-posted it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom