Spitzhaubens

I am actually getting my chicks from next year! There was one person a while back in this thread that got chamois spitzhaubens from them and they looked pretty good. The crests on roosters are messy but the hens’ crest looks good. I really like the shape and build of their spitzhaubens though (from what I can see in the photos).
I ended up not going with them. The site and some other things made me leery of them. I bid on greenfire Spitzhauben eggs, they will be a mix of the colors(silver, gold, chamois).

Last edited:
omg, look what they have at the local flea mall! 😮 IMG_6614.jpeg
no, i didn’t buy it. The comb’s wrong. And it’s rather large. Besides, I have a real one. 🙃

Question! So when picking the best chamois spitzhauben based on the coloring, what do you look for? I know the color (for a pullet/hen) is supposed to be an even buff ground color but what does that look like on a bird? Is it like a buff orpington’s color or lighter/darker? If anyone has some good examples of properly colored chamois cockerels/rooster and pullets/hens I would love to see them :) thanks for any help in advance!

Question! So when picking the best chamois spitzhauben based on the coloring, what do you look for? I know the color (for a pullet/hen) is supposed to be an even buff ground color but what does that look like on a bird? Is it like a buff orpington’s color or lighter/darker? If anyone has some good examples of properly colored chamois cockerels/rooster and pullets/hens I would love to see them :) thanks for any help in advance!
@NagemTX

I just wanted to join and learn more about the Spitzhaben! I was talked into taking the rest of a guys “rare breed” hatching eggs chicks that hatched from GFF. I only wanted bantam Bielefelders, but he gave me all 6 for $30…so how could I say no? I got one Bielefelder, one Orloff, 2 Silverrudds blues, a naked neck and the Spitz. It is a silver spangled Spitzhaben and I know nothing about the breed! So thought I’d pop in and learn a bit!

I know it’s too early to tell gender (4 weeks), but wondered if they are early or late with comb growth? The ugly bantam naked neck I got is already crowing 🤪 so I just wondered haha. Does GFF have decent quality Spitzhabens or is it pretty hit or miss? Just curious! Also, how is their overall temperament? I have a lot of easy going breeds, will they fit in? :)

Here’s the baby! It’s older now and has started growing its tassel out, but I haven’t gotten a good picture yet. The person who sold them did not seem to have spent much time feeding them or worrying about warmth—all 6 chickens were a bit undernourished, somewhat lethargic and seemed sort of dehydrated. So they look and act better now, but the Spitzhaben is the least active, so I worry! 🥴
F5CD5C8D-AD47-4933-B6C7-23C722629665.jpeg

EE8096BB-BE12-4082-BA81-2992A167E722.jpeg

It's a darker red more reminiscent of red plyes. Cackles pictures for them I think are pretty spot on for color. I'm still learning them but Chamois is my favorite.

I'll get some pictures put upoof mine some in the next few days. I don't currently have a rooster in the color so I'm will be working with a gold spangled that's badly colored.

So update on the Greenfire Spitzhauben. I had some unfortunate weather issues and yard drainage problems. So it stayed wet for an extended time. We had fowl pox first then coccidia and now upper respiratory issues. Not the horrid kind that smells bad just seams normal.

All the other babies hatched end of October and Thanksgiving week are doing very well with what treatment I can provide. All except the Greenfire silver spangled Spitzhauben and one of the Phoenix babies hatched from the ebay order. They are dieing. Lost all but three silver and looking like I'll loose another. Have them separate right now one silver is fighting and getting better but the other is not. Lost one golden the other is a champ and the two Chamois are doing well.

Stock seams to be week compared to what I received from Cackle.🙁

No one else is sick with the cold/respiratory issues other than the babies and it absolutely came from my environment. The wet and damp that was around for a prolonged time.

Having to rethinking my open air coops and how to do flooring that isn't a pain to clean and stays dry when I get torrential rain for a prolonged period of time. Especially when the ground cannot dry out.

Ignore the odd one out...
20230621_172012.jpg

These are pretty good. The darker ones are the color you are aiming for. (But not the one that isn't a Spitz) Their largest fault is that their spangles are more lacing than spangles.

And do remember, the shape of the bird is more important than the color.

Back
Top Bottom