Spitzhaubens

The three cockerels I need to choose between for a keeper.

View attachment 3643867
View attachment 3643868
No spangling on the brest area.

View attachment 3643869
View attachment 3643870
No spangling on the brest area.

View attachment 3643871
View attachment 3643872
View attachment 3643873
Spangling on brest area. He feels a bit skinny through the brest area tho.

None of them seem to hold their wings in a good position but that could just be the heat. Also one is boarding on a long crow like the "kosovo longcrower" or the "sanjak longcrower". I need to catch that one crowing and tag it.
I agree that the feathering of #3 is better but not sure what his comb is doing. I like the face of #1. Of course temperament is most important. If any are jerks /aggressive, then don't bother adding that to your flock.

I'd love to see the crowing video when you get one.

Here's Sprinkles - my curious pullet. She puts her beak into everything!

She came from Cackle. Spotted her in a bin marked rare poultry at Farm and Fleet. I knew right away she was a golden Spitz. She was an impulse buy that I don't regret.

89293A42-FE05-49EA-8E80-6DB13571F399.jpeg

I agree that the feathering of #3 is better but not sure what his comb is doing. I like the face of #1. Of course temperament is most important. If any are jerks /aggressive, then don't bother adding that to your flock.

I'd love to see the crowing video when you get one.
So far temperament is good.

I'll need to get a close up of their heads for a better comb view.

Yeah really need to get a video of that! I was really surprised when he crowed for that long. I want to get some hatching eggs for either of those breeds. They both have crests like the Spitzhauben.

I just ordered 12 Spitzhauben chicks for next spring! :celebrate:weeI have been looking at this amazing breed for such a long time and I finally found a breeder! I am getting 9 Chamois spangled and 3 Gold spangled.
I am really hoping for a small amount of cockerels as my neighbors would kill me if I kept a rooster. No rules about no roosters but I have a good relationship with my neighbors that I wouldn’t want to destroy haha.

Poof Poof is having a bad hair day
0D6A1C29-8943-4542-AAB6-3551BD2B6505.jpeg
5A8BEE5F-423E-4F04-882B-AF756646917B.jpeg

* She doesn't stand awkward like in the pic above. For some reason she kept running away from the camera (Gee.... I wonder why? LOL) so I snapped the pic in a weird position. Poor girl is embarrassed and now her pic is posted online for the whole world to see.

I think she resembles a gambel quail.

Last edited:
Has anyone delt with "Sweet Chicken Homested" before?

I ask because they have a statement about being one of the only two breeders that produces SOP show quality Spitzhaubens. I'm wondering if I should order hatching eggs from them.

Has anyone delt with "Sweet Chicken Homested" before?

I ask because they have a statement about being one of the only two breeders that produces SOP show quality Spitzhaubens. I'm wondering if I should order hatching eggs from them.
I am actually getting my chicks from next year! There was one person a while back in this thread that got chamois spitzhaubens from them and they looked pretty good. The crests on roosters are messy but the hens’ crest looks good. I really like the shape and build of their spitzhaubens though (from what I can see in the photos).

Back
Top Bottom