Splash/ Blue Silkie Thread

Pics
Yes roosters have it rough. Im in the country so I have them but even them you can only have so many, have to keep them separated due to fighting ect. I really feel for those of you who are in towns/cities where you can't have them. Way more barking dogs keep people up at night and early in the a.m. then roosters would!

Here are a few of our girls...

9079_pb230173.jpg

9079_pb230071.jpg

9079_pb230114.jpg

9079_pb230067.jpg

9079_img_1692.jpg

I recently got Best of Breed/Champion Silkie at the Western Silkie National with a blue. I was shocked when she was also placed as Reserve Champion Featherleg at the same show, an APA semiannual, against some really good bantam cochins. The bird that got Ch. featherleg was a black cochin from Joe Mazur that was also the Champion of Show.

I also got RV in blues, didn't show any splashes. I was just shocked that a blue silkie made champion row. More than a few judges have remarked to me that they don't feel blue should be an accepted variety in silkies since the standard for the blue color calls for lacing, which is not readily apparent in silkies due to the feathering.

Calesta Rieth got BV and, I think, RV in splash. It was a fun show!

She did all the hard work. You know how it is with silkies,.. one weekend of not being broody is sometimes far too much to ask!
She should be in Poultry Press!

Last edited:
Quote:
I really dislike it when a judge says that an accepted variety should not be. It shows a bias that they are supposed to not have. Obviously the variety had enough support to receive recognition, so GET OVER IT and ACCEPT IT. I don't mind statements like "don't see enough of X variety that meet the standard" or something like that, or even a statement that they don't care for a specific breed because of whatever (a common comment I've heard about featherlegs is keeping foot feathers in condition, for example). But a blatant statement that they know better than the standard and those who hold elected positions in the APA and ABA voting in accordance with the rules set forth to approve a breed or variety? grrrr.

Back
Top Bottom