Splash/ Blue Silkie Thread

Pics
I reeeeeeally want to get some silkies for showing (just local fairs) and also for pets.
Do Show silkies not make good pets due to the amount of feathers on their heads? I have seen some with minimum "poof" on top of their heads and they do not look like the show type I have seen. Is that a kind of "show trick" where you make them look like that but normally you can see their eyes? I worry about them not being able to see if I would let them free range.
Help!

My silkies have super poofy heads and seem to see just fine. but i must add all of my free ranging silkie have always ended up as hawk/raccoon/ ?? snacks. They are too sweet and defenseless. I keep mine in a coop with a large run where there is enough space that they cant trample all the grass away and even chicken wire the top. So far in my neck of the woods its the only way ive been able to keep them. But they are so very worth it!! Sweetest little birds! My 5 yr old carries them everywhere with her, even the roosters.

And i i dont brush my silkies out or anything but they are pretty poofy, esp after a good head scratchin, which mine practically beg for. if they get really messy i will wash them up and after they dry the clean feathers seem to poof more, but i dont show, i only do this bc they go visit my daughters pre K class every week or so and I like for them to be clean for the kiddo's.

Last edited:
Quote:
I really dislike it when a judge says that an accepted variety should not be. It shows a bias that they are supposed to not have. Obviously the variety had enough support to receive recognition, so GET OVER IT and ACCEPT IT. I don't mind statements like "don't see enough of X variety that meet the standard" or something like that, or even a statement that they don't care for a specific breed because of whatever (a common comment I've heard about featherlegs is keeping foot feathers in condition, for example). But a blatant statement that they know better than the standard and those who hold elected positions in the APA and ABA voting in accordance with the rules set forth to approve a breed or variety? grrrr.

I completely understand. Unfortunately even if they don't discuss it, or if they don't feel that way, this opinion is common enough that I believe it has a large impact on what does or does not have a snowballs chance of ending up as BB or on champion row. For instance, there are some typey partridge, when have you seen one placed BB or on champion row when other colors were decently represented?

I can tell my blue are blue, not black, not self blue. Many of mine also have lacing, but you can't see it unless you hold a feather against, or tape a feather to, white paper.

If you have silkies with vaults I highly recommend AGAINST head scratching. Brain injury can result, which can lead to death or permanent disability.
In regards to the poofs, I will tape up the crests of some of my birds to enable them to find food, breed, and see,... I like to use painters tape. Some birds will keep it in, others won't. They are excellent show birds.

What color does this little sizzle look like? Pale blue? The feathers are coming in light blue-gray, but she's only a week old.

77777_p10802331.jpg

Quote:
I'd call her a splash, just taking a while to get her "splash" in. I have a pullet I hatched last year from Shagbark and she is still getting her splash markings in.

She won CHFLEG a couple weeks ago as a splash. My daughter showed her today and all the breeders and judges said she was a blue and I should change the card. Well, she came in second, but I was SHOCKED that my dark blue pullet beat her. I think that she should be entered as a splash, but I'm afraid the judges are going to tell my daughter again that she is not. The judge said to me that she should be white with black spots if she was a splash.

Quote:
I'd call her a splash, just taking a while to get her "splash" in. I have a pullet I hatched last year from Shagbark and she is still getting her splash markings in.

She won CHFLEG a couple weeks ago as a splash. My daughter showed her today and all the breeders and judges said she was a blue and I should change the card. Well, she came in second, but I was SHOCKED that my dark blue pullet beat her. I think that she should be entered as a splash, but I'm afraid the judges are going to tell my daughter again that she is not. The judge said to me that she should be white with black spots if she was a splash.

I believe splash can have a lighter almost white base color to a light blue base color with the splashes "splashed" on the bird.

Back
Top Bottom