Splash/ Blue Silkie Thread

My little silkie hen insists on hatching eggs but I don't need quite that many. 2 free blue/black/splash sizzle chicks to anyone living in Northern California who will pick them up. They will be available in May

I have three 6 week old silkie chicks hatched from two blues. When they were babies 2 were a yellow gray color and one was a dark gray with light spots. Now they all seem to be getting white feathers. I'm confused if they are white or will they be splash? According to the chart I should have got 50% blue 25% black and 25% splash. Can you get solid whites from two blues?

I have three 6 week old silkie chicks hatched from two blues. When they were babies 2 were a yellow gray color and one was a dark gray with light spots. Now they all seem to be getting white feathers. I'm confused if they are white or will they be splash? According to the chart I should have got 50% blue 25% black and 25% splash. Can you get solid whites from two blues?
You sure can, if two of your birds carry a hidden gene for white. They get together, each give one of those white genes to the potential chicks and there you have it....white. I had a few whites pop out of my B/B/S pen last year. I did some selective breeding to figure out who was throwing them. When I figured out which pair produced them, I got rid of them both and haven't had any white chicks since (but it seems like you already know whos giving you those chicks)....

I suppose it is possible those chicks could be splash, some of mine take a while to get their splashes (and those usually end up looking pretty diluted).

The splash chicks do tend to look a bit white as they feather out. My husband has called them white repeatedly but he is finally learning that the splashes of blue is what make them splash (he grew up thinking chickens only came in white like in cartoons and commercials, lol). Of course it took repeated explaining that gray is actually blue in birds. I tell him our only colors are blue, black, or splash so he has to decide which one of those colors is the best match and now he is getting it right more than wrong. He is color blind so he does not always recognize subtle differences between light blue and dark blue (that can look black from the outer shaft color) but he is getting the concept that white is not an option.

My splash silkie 1 week.. this one is from cackle hatchery that I went in and got..there cut
Just found this thread. I have been searching for someone selling hatching eggs or chicks B/B/S. Anyway I am trying to wade through the whole thread and saw this . I got 11 splash chicks from Cackle Hatchery but they sure didn't look like yours. I ended up with one blue which I love. They will be 4 weeks tomorrow. I went through 2 weeks of pasty butt with them. I can't figure out why my chicks have no top knots so I was thinking they are hatchery stock, since I couldn't find a way to get good quality chicks.

Back
Top Bottom