Spokane's Chicken Rules

I'm thinking about building one like the PVC tractor in the coop photos. I'd like to keep separate flocks if we decide to get more sooner, I don't know though...my 3 girls get along so well, no noticeable pecking order to speak of, I'm afraid a larger flock would cause "issues" we don't have right now. And I want a Sebastopol goose...talk about ticking off the neighbors, lol.

I would talk to your neighbors, let them know if you do build a coop outside. If its close enough to their house for there to be an issue with noise. Thats what we did, we have a coop in our backyard but its only about ten or fifteen feet from our neighbors fence. but none of our neighbors have an issue with our birds. =)

hi all, we have chickens and ducks in a sizeable lot on the north side. We've basically found that as long as your neighbors are good with it, there's no reason to worry. I think the new ordinance that passed said one chicken/fowl for every 1,000 sq. feet. We know we just need to have quiet birds. As long as your pets are quiet, no one cares. plus.. they get free eggs for being nice neighbors! I just mainly go by making sure that my birds have enough room to free range happily. Ducks stay together in the group and really only need 2-4 sq. feet per duck - mine have much more than that. Chickens are about the same and really just want to have room to do all they do. So, with plenty of grass, plenty of bugs.. all are happy and quiet :) BTW, the woman down the street from me has several (10+) chickens and a roo and she says she has no issues with even the roo because her neighbor is more than happy to take the bit of crowing in exchange for free pest control by her chickens. lol.

I live in spokane county literally on the street that divides city and county in the Morgan Acres neighborhood just north of Hillyard. If I lived on the other side of the street, I'd be in the city limits. I've found that so long as your neighbors don't call anyone and complain, nobody enforces any ordinances about chickens. Our neighbors also have chickens, and I hear roosters crowing regularly. I also see chickens and ducks wandering around the neighborhood in big clusters. Nobody in the neighborhood cares, so we've never worried about it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom