Spoke at my city hall meeting about ordinances

So, did they change the ordinance or did you just decide to go ahead anyway?
We live in CT and in our town they told us you can have any number of chickens, I guess. They said if you keep it below 20 and no roosters then no one will likely complain. The catch is, however, that the coop must be 100' from the property line. So, even though we have a somewhat wooded acre of land, it is rectangular in shape and only 160' wide. So even if we place our coop smack in the middle of the property, it will be 20' too close to each of our neighbors.
After a bit of hemming and hawing, we've decided to skip getting a permit (as they won't give us one anyway) and go ahead and get the chickens anyway. We're only going to get 3-6 chickens (give back any roosters) and hope the neighbors don't complain if we bribe them with fresh eggs.
Anyway, within walking distance of our house, we know of 7 neighbors who also keep chickens and their coops are right close to the property lines. They obviously don't enforce the zoning much around here.

So, did they change the ordinance or did you just decide to go ahead anyway?
We live in CT and in our town they told us you can have any number of chickens, I guess. They said if you keep it below 20 and no roosters then no one will likely complain. The catch is, however, that the coop must be 100' from the property line. So, even though we have a somewhat wooded acre of land, it is rectangular in shape and only 160' wide. So even if we place our coop smack in the middle of the property, it will be 20' too close to each of our neighbors.
After a bit of hemming and hawing, we've decided to skip getting a permit (as they won't give us one anyway) and go ahead and get the chickens anyway. We're only going to get 3-6 chickens (give back any roosters) and hope the neighbors don't complain if we bribe them with fresh eggs.
Anyway, within walking distance of our house, we know of 7 neighbors who also keep chickens and their coops are right close to the property lines. They obviously don't enforce the zoning much around here.
All the same, I would keep the coop and run hidden from the street and neighbors windows/roofs. I hope you don't have any nosey and crazy neighbors!

You mentioned a map with cities that allow chickens in the original post. Would you mind sharing that link? I think it would come in quite handy for me.
thanks,
Brendan

There has been so much information about chickens in the news lately!
D.gif

Great news for our egg loving friends...!

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-b...gress-to-pass-the-egg-products-inspection-act

I KNOW, it is difficult to think of Congress as agreeing on anything, ...!!! But, check out the link! (if you want!)

I posted this link before, but it has everything and more on legalizing chickens and why they aren't a pollution hazard, noise problem,...along with how chickens are on these massive farms and so on...!

http://www.woodlotfarms.com/Legalize_Chicken_Hens.html

A bit more info than needed, but some of it is very helpful and interesting!
thumbsup.gif

Enjoy them, and Stay cool!
tongue.png
It is HOT out there!

I think the video is too simplistic. It doesn't discuss how everything wants to eat your chickens, or how you will bring in rats/mice/mites/stink if your coop, chickens, poop and feed are not correctly managed.

Currently in my city in Texas, coops have to be 150 feet away from a neighboring structure to be legal. If I could change the law, I would allow coops a minimum of 10 feet away from neighboring structures if the coop meets criteria - 1) is predator/rodent resistant (no opening larger that 1/2 inch), 2) does not stink (effective poop management), 3) is not visible from the street, 4) does not disturb the neighbors (no crowing), 5) the coop owner completes a city sponsored chicken class (requirements of predator/rodent resistance, poop management). My city has water harvesting classes, composting classes. Why couldn't it have a chicken class. If the coop is 150 ft away from neighboring structures, then it does not have to comply with any other restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom