Soap Lake Municipal code forcing me to keep my chickens in their coop PERMANENTLY

I would read the cities by laws carefully and see if there is a kink in there that would help. Like when were these laws made and did you live here before that? Might find something interesting. Just request a copy.

UPDATE:

With some patience and kindness I got it resolved! My municipal code officer closed it, he saw I cared a lot about this and that I wouldn’t let my girls loose off my property. He offered to mediate with my neighbor if this issue arises again too and gave me the info of a city planner to get the municipal code language cleared up as well.
Careful about getting the code language cleared up. If the local government is not chicken friendly things could get much worse for you ability to own chickens. Keep an eye out for any council meetings and see if they publish proposed changes before the meeting so you can see how things are being changed.

I would read the cities by laws carefully and see if there is a kink in there that would help. Like when were these laws made and did you live here before that? Might find something interesting. Just request a copy.
Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely. A key business owner in our community sided with me and has me in a group chat with the city council to talk about this. His family owns an incredibly popular community farm (for our small town) and so he is very invested in livestock in the community. Especially backyard chickens!
They all are fairly positive and willing to help out so far but I wont blindly trust people until I am sure the language that is changed in my municipal code will help me and other backyard chicken owners in the community.

I just saw your update. That’s awesome. What a weird neighbor.
Thanks! We are a TINY town, but the community is fairly tight knit. This neighbor is the only one who has shown any sort of hostility. The code enforcement officer offered to mediate a conversation between them and me if another complaint comes in about my chickens. I have other neighbors who have volunteered to talk to the police department and go to city council meetings to speak on this issue on my behalf.

Honestly I never thought I’d do this much work in my life. I’m terrified of leading change, (despite being very loudly queer in the conservative countryside) but having chickens has changed my live honestly. I want to repay that kindness to my girls and my community. The support I’ve had this far is overwhelming and it makes me so happy to know so many people are patient and supportive with me.

UPDATE:

With some patience and kindness I got it resolved! My municipal code officer closed it, he saw I cared a lot about this and that I wouldn’t let my girls loose off my property. He offered to mediate with my neighbor if this issue arises again too and gave me the info of a city planner to get the municipal code language cleared up as well.
great news. I am glad you calmly persisted and showed good animal care. well done!

Hello,
City municipal code link here: https://www.codepublishing.com/WA/SoapLake/

I am a very frustrated and angry chicken owner. I am working very hard to keep my girls safe and happy. I have a neighbor who had called municipal code on my coop for being too close to my property line. So I moved it. Then I got another letter for my “chickens running at large”
The attached photo is their proof. The photos is my girls in a run I’ve been building.
I called the police department and they specified that if my chickens are not in a coop, henhouse, or tractor then they are considered at large. I don’t have money to buy anything new. Also my girls like to walk around my backyard while my wife is home but apparently that’s even more of a no now. I can’t keep them in my wooden coop!! That’s inhumane!! They need to forage.
The code officer told me if I don’t like it I need to change the municipal code by getting in contact with city council.

If dogs can be inside a fence and not be at large, my girls should too.
Also apologies on my yard, it’s a work in progress.

Please help!! I don’t know where to go from here on…
Oh my gosh, they did that?! You are right, it is very inhumane to lock them in a coop the rest of their lives, it'll make them sick and unhealthy!

Back
Top Bottom