Soap Lake Municipal code forcing me to keep my chickens in their coop PERMANENTLY

Unfortunately I can’t due to our winters getting pretty extreme, but it’s definitely a thought! There is a 120 sq ft limit to the space for chickens as well here. They have been trying to get me for the appearance of my yard and my chickens so, the dirt is them nitpicking.
6'x20' = 120 sq ft, that's a lot of space for 4 hens.
After lookin at changing this, will city council use the language against me here? They state they need to be inside a “henhouse, coop, or tractor” could they argue a tractor provides them that space and sunlight?
It's my understanding that they have to clearly define all of those terms i.e. henhouse, coop, etc.., which it doesn't appear they have in the code, in order to prosecute you for a violation. You have a house that holds only hens, I suspect any reasonable person would not have an issue understanding that you have a hen house on your property.

Section 6.07.010 paragraph G. mentions the chicken run as a separate thing from a hen house.

Take time to understand your city council process. "Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively." --Dalai Lama XIV

Hello all,
The man volunteering for municipal code enforcer refused to close my case based on 6.07.010 section M of my municipal code stating chickens must be kept in coops, henhouses, or tractors at all times.
But reading over my municipal code I found a section that includes the term “chicken run”
By having that in there, wouldn’t this make section M null? Why have a run if you are going to get fined for it? Can I call him back and use this as leverage to close my case with municipal code?
View attachment 3516478View attachment 3516479
I would think yes, you could win that one. Maybe not with the municipal drone, but in a court.

Maybe ask him to explain how a chicken run, as mentioned in paragraph G, fits into his thinking. You should also take notes in case this goes to court.

And Soap Lake is USDA zone 6b same as my area. If you have hardy chickens like Wyandotte, Orpington, Jersey Giant, Old English Game, just to name a few, they will be fine in your climate. Just give them a hen house so they can get out of the weather if they want to.
i really truly appreciate the help on this! But I don’t have money to redo my set up. I have had their new coop (not pictured)for less than a month. Do you think attaching the run physically to the coop would work well enough to consider it a part of a henhouse?

i really truly appreciate the help on this! But I don’t have money to redo my set up. I have had their new coop (not pictured)for less than a month. Do you think attaching the run physically to the coop would work well enough to consider it a part of a henhouse?
Call around to siding companies, warehouses, look on Craigslist free site. Someone will have old/free pallets. Pull out and reuse the nails in the pallets. You can build almost anything with pallets if you have enough time and patience and the right tools. I think you should "extend" the hen house.

Yes! I think attaching the secure run to their coop would probably help this. Then they can go in an out of their house, into the run, and be safe and secure from predators (and bylaws). See you if you have a local buy nothing group, or a mutual aid page. Check out any and all places to get materials for free. The cost is your time and labour, but I think well worth it.

Do you think attaching the run physically to the coop would work well enough to consider it a part of a henhouse?
Maybe, but.....
It's my understanding that they have to clearly define all of those terms i.e. henhouse, coop, etc.., which it doesn't appear they have in the code
...I too was wondering how exactly they define these terms.

Maybe, but.....

...I too was wondering how exactly they define these terms.
It’s a good point, I was discussing this with my wife last night and I think I will bring up the definitions to the municipal code officer. They aren’t defined in our municipal code. I’m hoping he can work with me on finding a compromise in my set up. Like possibly attaching the run to the coop and putting up a sign labeling the space as a henhouse or something along these lines.

UPDATE:

With some patience and kindness I got it resolved! My municipal code officer closed it, he saw I cared a lot about this and that I wouldn’t let my girls loose off my property. He offered to mediate with my neighbor if this issue arises again too and gave me the info of a city planner to get the municipal code language cleared up as well.

Back
Top Bottom