Sporadic Travel - can I leave them in coop a few days

I would also recommend getting a solar fence charger and run some electric fencing around the lower perimeter. I posted some time back with photos of this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/928849/55-dead-chicks/10#post_14184913
It works great, First thing a predator does is come sniffing around the perimeter to check things out. Fence zap em, they go running off. The other thing you need to look at is the gauge of the hardware cloth used. I've seen some prefabs with hardware cloth a puppy could push through. I got my coop from the Urban Coop Company. The panels all come off so it's easy to put up anywhere. It's amazingly well built, well thought-out, ventilated, sturdy and I couldn't be happier with it. I've added a 4 X 8 foot covered kennel for additional run space during the day. I'll be changing that out to a 10 x 10 when I get my other birds.

All;

Some big news. The Coop is nearing completion and as you can see from the above, it is huge and should easily accommodate 6 birds. The better half ordered 6 Buff Orpington hens and they arrived via overnight mail unscathed. They included a 7th bird which also made the trip. We have them set-up in a brooder with heat-lamp, food and water and are keeping them on newspaper for a few days before using pine shavings so they learn what is food before being surrounded by shavings. We are keeping the temperature at approximately 95-98 degrees and thus far it would appear that we have happy birds. As the birds won't be in the coop for a few more weeks I am going to take some time in the coming days to get good feeders and watering dispensers hung in the coop and will also install some things for them to putz with like a swing and other toys to keep them happy. We are going to line the coop portion with sand and will probably do so in the run once they eat all of the grass down. I will post more photographs as things get completed, but for now am happy to report that the birds made the trip and appear to be happy and healthy.

That is indeed great news! I'm sure you'll enjoy your birds. The only downside is the fresh eggs will spoil you for going out to breakfast anywhere and ordering eggs. If you're like me, you'll look down at those and think "those are NOT eggs!"

That is indeed great news! I'm sure you'll enjoy your birds. The only downside is the fresh eggs will spoil you for going out to breakfast anywhere and ordering eggs. If you're like me, you'll look down at those and think "those are NOT eggs!"

So true, I travel a lot and can't hardly eat the breakfast being served.
1f61d.png

Back
Top Bottom