Sportsman hatcher question, do you use tray liners!?!?

McPhersonFarm

Songster
7 Years
Jan 18, 2013
Fort White, FL
I just got a sportsman hatcher and am planning on moving my first set in on Thursday. There are metal trays with lids in the 1550 and I'm wondering if I should use the tray liners in them for non-skid. However the tiny hardware cloth is non-skid itself I believe. Also, these seem soooo shallow to keep chicks in for any length of time especially with the lids on? I can see for my quail but for chicks and ducklings they seem so shallow. Any tips or ideas from anyone who has one?

The 1/4 inch hardware cloth bottoms are just fine for chick footing. Some kind of liner might help make cleanup easier. You are correct in thinking the lids are only suitable for quail. Small hardware cloth "fences" that sit at the front and rear of each tray is my method of keeping the chicks confined to the trays.

I hatched my chicks with the lids on and even though it is a tad confining they were all fine.

As far as a lining I used the blue "shop" paper towels and got them wet then laid them on the bottom of the ray. They tend to not be as effected by the fans as much as normal paper towels. It definitely made cleanup easier.

Ron

Hmmmm I might try laying some stuff down just to make the clean-up easier. If I'm always putting something in it will be difficult to sanitize the whole unit. I don't have anything going in until later in the week.

Back
Top Bottom