Spraddle Leg - Splay Leg Treatment Instructions

Info on flooring for chicks:
  • Do not put any young chicks or chickens with leg problems on any kind of slick, painful or hard surface! This includes newspaper, cardboard, linoleum, concrete, flooring with sharp points, etc.
    • Small wire mesh can provide traction as a floor, but gives chicks a higher risk of getting chick leg problems from getting bruised and hurt when stumbling around trying to walk.
    • Don't use hay or other materials the bird is likely to trip on.
  • Good Flooring is needed to provide adequate traction and cushioning, and decent sanitation.
  • It is critical for ALL newly hatched baby chicks, so they do not slip while learning to stand, and develop leg problems. Appropriate flooring keeps a chick from slipping and developing Splayed Leg (where the chick turns one or both legs out crookedly to the side & has a hard time walking), and helps prevent bruises, scrapes & bone injuries.
    • For very young chicks: 1 to 2 inches of pine shavings with paper towels laid over the top (Paper towels keep chicks from eating shavings while they're trying to figure out what they should and should not eat the first few days). Bumpy, rubbery kitchen shelf liner is also good. A soft washcloth is ideal for a lonely chick to snuggle next to.
      • For healthy sanitation, frequently change out paper towels or clean (& thoroughly dry) washable flooring.
    • For older chicks: 1 1/2 to 2 inches of pine shavings. Clean dirt also works. Wood floor is alright if it isn't too slick, and there are places with bedding for resting.
      • For sanitation: Change out shavings as they become dirty, or sprinkle a layer of fresh shavings over top.

There is also a drawing of Splay Leg Hobbles made from tape on the Poultry Podiatry page on the website linked in my sig.

I hope you have fun with your crew of chicks!

Your Podiatry page is AmAzInG!!!!
So many different treatment options, symptoms described clearly and in layman's terms! An asset to the chicken community!

re flooring: I really regret hatching on the wire floor of incubator. I wish I could go back in time & put down paper towels

I have chick that is a 3 days old. I found her hatched on a hard surface (her mother abandoned her) on her side, with her leg stretched out behind her. I didn't notice any ligament or tendons out of place, the legs move about seemingly to me in a normal way. I have other chicks that are all normal that I rescued from a chicken that apparently only likes the black chicks because she killed one of her own yellow chick and tried to kill two other yellow ones (and the 3 black chicks that she is mothering aren't even her hatchlings!). Who knew you could have a racist chicken.
idunno.gif
Red, yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight..
Anyways, I'm trying the vet wrap treatment (this is day 2) but it doesn't seem to be helping all that much but it has only been one day, technically not even a day. Am I just not being patient enough? In most of the pictures I've seen with the splay legs, the legs are out to the side, my chick's leg is stretched out behind her and its just the one leg. Any information is helpful. I've got her in a large box with a towel. She likes to crawl over into a corner to sleep. She eats great and drinks good. I do not leave water in with her for fear that she might drown. She cannot stand at all, she just scoots around on her belly. She doesn't seem to be in pain and loves when I come in to do physical therapy with her. I know how time can play a part in healing at this age before it becomes permanent. Thanks for all the information, I love this forum!! Have saved my peahen, several chickens and gathered so much useful information its amazing!!! God bless

Very sorry your little chick has had a rough start. That's great you are you are looking out for her & trying to give her conscientious treatment.
A chick that goes 2-3 days walking wrong before being hobbled will take longer to figure out how to walk correctly. Hopefully she still can learn, however.
Caution: Be sure you do not leave the hobbles off at any time. It's very important her brain really focus on only correct movement. I think physical therapy will also help give her the best chance & that's great you're doing it with her.
As another possible concern, do you think there's any chance she could have Marek's disease?

I will send up a prayer for your little chick & you.
hugs.gif

Thank you so much!! All prayers will be received with gratitude!
love.gif
I have notice much improvement today
clap.gif
she/he can actually stand pretty good. I think the baby is going to just take time like you said. I'm so glad it's not something else. I don't think she could have Marek's but will look into it. After this improvement, do you still think that's a concern?

Just saw your update & am very glad to hear she's been doing better!
celebrate.gif

I'm not real familiar with Marek's & don't know if symptoms usually fluctuate much, but hopefully your chick's improvement means she's dealing with Splayed Leg & not that.

so, my question is....how do they get about with the bandaid on the legs? I have a duck 2 days ago that has splayed legs (the others are fine). I think he hatched too early as he was still attached to his egg. He lay on the mat in the incubator for hours. I thought he was going to die but 24 hours later he's very lively and trying to move around.

I have put the bandaid on his legs but he is now falling face first with his legs out the back of him.

I did wonder if he was just still weak and unable to control his legs or if it is actually splayed legs. He was getting about but his legs were splitting on him, although not as severley as some of the photos i've seen.

What to do, what to do?

Look at the "Physical Therapy" section on my Poultry Podiatry page.
I'd also recommend putting him in a small glass to help him stand upright until he learns that's what he's supposed to do.

Back
Top Bottom