spraddle legs in new hatchlings

soldier

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2011
I know it is not the season for hatching as yet but I wanted to know if anyone knows the reason/genetics for guineas that are born with spraddle legs. I have tried all the remedies to help them without success. Their outcome/prognosis is poor. Any suggestions for the known "cause" of this condition, not treatment.

I had one hatch this past year, and yes, it was a bad outcome. Two reasons i have found pointed to inconsistency in temperatures while being brooded...(this hatchling was one of 5 eggs being sat one by a young, flighty guinea hen that left the nest every time i checked on her) and my equine vet told me that poor nutrition would cause that also. I have no opinion on that as my birds had game bird feed, flock raiser and were free range at that time.

I have read that a lack of Biotin in the hen's diet can lead to weak legs in the chicks. So I add a poultry vitamin to their water. But I think there are other causes such as too high of an incubation temperature or the baby taking too long to get out of the shell.
Most of the time I am able to save chicks and keets with a bandaid hobble but it doesn't always work.
sad.png

Last edited:
Hi, I had the same out come with my guineas this year, not a good hatch. I think it's the inconsistency with the temp in the bator. I live in Fl. and in the spring the air-conditioner is on during the day and the room gets cooled down. I block the vent in the room where the bator is and then during the heat of the day, the bator goes up to 102. I have to open the lid on the bator, or they will be well done. At night it cools down and at 6am the bator is down to 70. I'm constantly in and out adjusting the bator. I wish some one could tell me how to maintain a steady temperature. My very first hatch was 100%. I'm doing the same thing, but not getting 100% and the keets are having trouble with crooked toes. I don't expect 100%, but I don't know the reason for the spayed legs and crooked toes. It's not many keets with the problem, maybe 2-3 out of 30 keets. Is it vitamins for the hen?

Elizabeth 72- If you can find a place for your incubator that is a fairly steady temp, it would be easier for you and for the equipment. It does not have to be perfect but you are talking major swings here! Even a basement that is not cooled directly might be worth investigating. Seems the cooling of the room makes the incubator work too hard - it should compensate fairly well for changes in external temperature.

LOL, That's my problem. I don't have a basement or a room that keeps an exact temperature. In the heat of the day, it goes up to 100 degrees, that's when the bator goes up to 102. I have to open the lid or the eggs will be well done. That lets out a lot of moisture. Then about 2 am, temp outside goes down to 60 and the room cools off. That's when the bator drops it's temp. I just thought that someone had the same problem and I'd be able to rectify it. Or perhaps a bator that holds it temp. Thanks for your help though.

I think you all are correct. Vitamins, footing, temperature, they all play a big part. I do use the rubber shelf liner and try desperately to keep the temp. I have not tried the vitamins though. You can be sure that'll be on my list. Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom