Spring 2017 first timers post!

Question - has anyone here gotten a mix of bantams and regular size chicks? The lady I'm splitting my MPC order with is getting 4 bantams and we will have 13 full size chicks in with them. I'm raising them all in my brooder until they are coop ready. I've never had bantams before - will the little ones get picked on? Should I prepare a separate bantam section of my brooder with a separate heating pad? How much smaller are bantam chicks?
This is our order btw :
Welsummer X1
Delaware x3
Speckled Sussex X1
Swedish flower x3
Surprise rare Marans X1
Blue splash Marans X1
Assorted bantams x3
Assorted polish x3
Partridge Cochin X1
D'uccle bantam X1

I hope I can tell them all apart so she gets the right ones!!

Question - has anyone here gotten a mix of bantams and regular size chicks? The lady I'm splitting my MPC order with is getting 4 bantams and we will have 13 full size chicks in with them. I'm raising them all in my brooder until they are coop ready. I've never had bantams before - will the little ones get picked on? Should I prepare a separate bantam section of my brooder with a separate heating pad? How much smaller are bantam chicks?
This is our order btw :
Welsummer X1
Delaware x3
Speckled Sussex X1
Swedish flower x3
Surprise rare Marans X1
Blue splash Marans X1
Assorted bantams x3
Assorted polish x3
Partridge Cochin X1
D'uccle bantam X1

I hope I can tell them all apart so she gets the right ones!!

Usually by rule of thumb it's okay to have a large mix of sizes, color, etc. as long as you don't have too many of one breed that out weighs the rest. We did a lot of Rhode Island's and only a few Easter Eggers back years ago at my parents house and the Rhode Island's were a bit picky to the Easter Eggers. It's believed that they see each other as a group unit living together, and if one breed is very similar with only a few different they seem to think something is wrong with them so they pick at them for being strange. The fact that yours are all very different they shouldn't have too much trouble (so the saying goes). The only ones you may need to watch out for is the polish actually, as they will have very unique feather plumage that may attract the attention of all the less plumage types you have. But for the most part they should be okay. It's funny size so much isn't an issue as how well they bare confidence, and how similar or non similar they are to one another. All yours are very comfidant breeds so that'll help.

I got a free polish last year with my first flock & he was picked on until his head was bleeding. He was also a lot smaller, but he held his own & got very fast at getting away but no one liked him except his one buddy lol!

First timer here - here's our crew! We have 2 Easter Eggers (Ocean and Moana), 2 Buff Orpingtons (Rosalina and Jessica Fletcher), 1 Black Australorp (Violet) , 1 Black Sex-Link (Gertrude), and 2 Cochins (Betty and Daisy).

Back
Top Bottom