Spring 2017 first timers post!

Week and a half old chicks... They peck and scratch everywhere - so when they constantly dump out chick crumbles into the pine - why don't they eat it? Some peoples children... I mean chickens...

Hate to say "I told you so"  but I did tell you so:D   chick tv is very addictive:pop

Lol, yes you did. To top it off I was at choir practice tonight and realized I smelled like chicks, a faint poopy smell coming off my jeans! I guess I need farmer overalls and boots to change in and out of yo hang out with the chicks. May as well throw in the straw hat and make it an outfit. Cause you know, I'm gay it's gotta look good:)

Gary

Last edited:
FINALLY! This afternoon we put the last corrugated plastic over the run, hung the nipple water bucket, made the window hold open sticks, and swept the area with a magnet and made a hardware cloth screen to go over the chicks door to the run to allow air circulation but will keep the kids in the coop. We now pronounce our coop AND run complete!! Still a few pick up items but nothing of consequence, just some fine tuning. Will take a few pics of the final project in the next day or so. Would be nice to have a sunny day for this BUT it may be July before that happens, grrrrrrrrrrrrr. TBC, BB

The Before Picture

I just don't have the heart to tell @bajabirdbrain that coops are NEVER done. Most of us spend the next 10 years tweaking, modifying and rearranging, when we're not repairing or reinforcing. But, like I said, I don't have the heart..........

We got the coop built yesterday evening finally and put "the Golden girls" (our original 8 gold sex link) into it. They loved the extra room!

They won't be here much longer. I was raising them for a friend who lost their flock to a raccoon.

The next group behind them is a group of straight runs...3 RIRs, 1 Delaware, 2 Blue wyandottes and an australorp we are sure is a cockerel who won't be staying. We tried separating the other six into two brooders so they'd have more room but they couldn't stand it! They were depressed and calling to each other. They only calmed down once they were reunited in one brooder box. They didn't mind the rooster being absent as he got to move out with the golden girls. Also interestingly, one of the remaining six also started sounding like a pubescent boy after he left so who knows how many we'll be left with from this bunch.

We have a Welsummer, an ameraucana, a Leghorn, a cochin and a Barred Rock Bantam together in another brooder. The cochin and br are older by a bit so the size isn't a major issue right now. Then we have a mix of five other banties in another brooder. The bantam coop arrives tomorrow but they won't be ready to move in for awhile.

Anyway...we are rocking right along. :)

Last edited:
FINALLY! This afternoon we put the last corrugated plastic over the run, hung the nipple water bucket, made the window hold open sticks, and swept the area with a magnet and made a hardware cloth screen to go over the chicks door to the run to allow air circulation but will keep the kids in the coop. We now pronounce our coop AND run complete!! Still a few pick up items but nothing of consequence, just some fine tuning. Will take a few pics of the final project in the next day or so. Would be nice to have a sunny day for this BUT it may be July before that happens, grrrrrrrrrrrrr. TBC, BB

The Before Picture

Cant wait to see the final pictures! You guys rocked it! Waiting for the weather to clear here too. My day off and its pouring today. I have to paint and finish hardware cloth perimeter and back fill with loam then done! so close.

lau.gif
The straw hat is a must, gotta look sharp even if you're wearing farm coveralls
wink.png

I just don't have the heart to tell @bajabirdbrain that coops are NEVER done. Most of us spend the next 10 years tweaking, modifying and rearranging, when we're not repairing or reinforcing. But, like I said, I don't have the heart..........
There is wisdom in these words....heck, I'm already thinking about my next coop and this first one isn't all the way finished
big_smile.png

Hey everyone, new to this thread! My flock just arrived at the post office and I rushed over to get them :)

(Sorry for the bad quality, it's a screenshot from a snapchat video)

They are a Buff Orpington, two Barred Rocks, a Golden Buff, and a Meyer meal maker who I think is also a Golden Buff. Their names are Heihei, Pui, Huku, Kip, and Pollo (not sure which name goes to which chick yet...) and their names all mean "chicken" in different languages. They're all looking healthy-- they keep running around between their food/water and the heat lamp-- and I'm very excited. They seem to be pecking at each other's faces a lot when they are close together. Is this normal? Just want to make sure they're all safe!

Back
Top Bottom