Spring 2017 first timers post!

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan. Although I wish there were a non-medicated starter feed and organic grain chop available in my area. The chicks are 16 days old and are 3/4 thru their first 50# bag of medicated starter. I have one more bag of this in reserve (I was told to give them another bag but I disagree, advice is appreciated). After the starter, 50# of milo chop, 50# of corn chop, and 50# of oyster shell will be on the way in a day or two. I will probably add another 50# of grain to this stock, perhaps soybean meal or a minimally processed feed. Well, now that I get to talking about them I have to go out and triple their brooder size. Fun fun, good luck with your birds btw.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds like a good plan. Although I wish there were a non-medicated starter feed and organic grain chop available in my area. The chicks are 16 days old and are 3/4 thru their first 50# bag of medicated starter. I have one more bag of this in reserve (I was told to give them another bag but I disagree, advice is appreciated). After the starter, 50# of milo chop, 50# of corn chop, and 50# of oyster shell will be on the way in a day or two. I will probably add another 50# of grain to this stock, perhaps soybean meal or a minimally processed feed. Well, now that I get to talking about them I have to go out and triple their brooder size. Fun fun, good luck with your birds btw.
Do you have any co-ops in your area? My chicks are getting Nutrena non-medicated starter/grower right now; the guy at the feed store tried to get me to buy medicated but I decided against it. With the co-op I can order organic feed every other month and exclude corn and soy from their daily feed, but can order corn too for winter. Other grains are also available like barley, oats, etc.

Last edited:
Hello from AZ
frow.gif

I'm somewhat new to raising chickens...at least new to the whole raising chickens for eggs. For the last two years my daughter has raised CornishX for FFA; this year she managed to raise the Grand Champion Market Poultry. After the birds were sold I decided I wanted egg laying hens, partly to help my daughter improve her chicken rearing skills in the hopes she will end her FFA career with another Grand Champion but also because I missed going out and watching the birds run around.

We purchased 3 Leghorns and 3 Rhode Island Reds from Tractor Supply Company just this past weekend (4/7). We chose these birds specifically because they are heat tolerant or at least that was what I was told. Only time will tell.

I'm already seeing the differences between raising meat birds and egg layers. The CornishX were more food focused...let me tell you those birds can eat. For this reason I started to research things I could add to their diet. I'm now trying to perfect my fodder growing skills to help reduce their future feed bill. We also have a rabbit so he will be my fodder guinea pig. I should have the growing down by the time the birds are ready for a change in their diet.

I wish you well on your adventure and might I say your coop is absolutely fabulous!

Hello from AZ
frow.gif

I'm somewhat new to raising chickens...at least new to the whole raising chickens for eggs. For the last two years my daughter has raised CornishX for FFA; this year she managed to raise the Grand Champion Market Poultry. After the birds were sold I decided I wanted egg laying hens, partly to help my daughter improve her chicken rearing skills in the hopes she will end her FFA career with another Grand Champion but also because I missed going out and watching the birds run around.

We purchased 3 Leghorns and 3 Rhode Island Reds from Tractor Supply Company just this past weekend (4/7). We chose these birds specifically because they are heat tolerant or at least that was what I was told. Only time will tell.

I'm already seeing the differences between raising meat birds and egg layers. The CornishX were more food focused...let me tell you those birds can eat. For this reason I started to research things I could add to their diet. I'm now trying to perfect my fodder growing skills to help reduce their future feed bill. We also have a rabbit so he will be my fodder guinea pig. I should have the growing down by the time the birds are ready for a change in their diet.

I wish you well on your adventure and might I say your coop is absolutely fabulous!

Welcome to our thread! We wish you well on your adventure too:)

My Coop? Awe thanks:)

Gary

Quote:
The farmer's co-op may be able to order it for me. Organic isn't too big around here unfortunately. I get all of my feed there and will check tomorrow. Thank you for the idea.

Quote:
The farmer's co-op may be able to order it for me. Organic isn't too big around here unfortunately. I get all of my feed there and will check tomorrow. Thank you for the idea.
My pleasure. I hope you find what you're looking for. I found the co-op I joined online after a search, if your farmers can't help you out maybe you can find something that way.

Back
Top Bottom