Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
Question about the DE? I was going to mix some with wood ash for their dust bath but if it will cause more harm than good what would you suggest for a feed tub dustbath? Wood ash and sand?
Since you're coastal, just plain dirt may be just fine for your flock. I'm only a mile from the beach, and the soil here is very sandy. It's all that my birds have ever had for dustbathing, and I have not had any mite or lice problems at all.

We have tons of sand which the adults dust bathe in regularly but I was going to put a dedicated tub in their run for them for days they can't be free ranged. We just re-seeded the lawn after extensive landscaping so they're stuck in the run for at least two weeks. It's quite large but they're still annoyed with me.

Sadly we lost a chick today, our little RIR didn't make it. They really do try and find new ways to kill themselves daily. I'll give her a proper burial once the storm clears out.

I'm getting 8 chicks in mid April from Meyers and have 4 silkie chicks now (Silkies and the egg laying pullets are living in separate pens)

Getting one of each of the hens I really wanted, one Australorp, one EE, one Orpington, one Cochin, one Bramah, one wyandotte, one welsummer, and one speckled sussex.

I will also be getting Polish hens, possibly 2-3 mid summer but I have to wait and see how that goes as the breeder I want to get them from hasn't had her hen lay yet. Those girls will be living in the same pen with the silkies (The bantam pen).

My 4 baby silkies, 1 white, 1 splash, and 2 buffs. They all have names already >.< The splash is Sora (Sky), the white is Yuki (Snow), the light buff is Hikaru (light), and the dark buff is Aiko (loved child).

I'm getting 8 chicks in mid April from Meyers and have 4 silkie chicks now (Silkies and the egg laying pullets are living in separate pens)

Getting one of each of the hens I really wanted, one Australorp, one EE, one Orpington, one Cochin, one Bramah, one wyandotte, one welsummer, and one speckled sussex. 

I will also be getting Polish hens, possibly 2-3 mid summer but I have to wait and see how that goes as the breeder I want to get them from hasn't had her hen lay yet. Those girls will be living in the same pen with the silkies (The bantam pen).

Sounds like you'll have a fantastic variety when they all arrive, and your silkies are just too cute! :love

Sadly we lost a chick today, our little RIR didn't make it. They really do try and find new ways to kill themselves daily.  I'll give her a proper burial once the storm clears out.   

1f615.png
1f625.png
1f622.png

Thanks everyone, it's amazing how fast you get attached to the lityle fluff balls. Fortunately it was accidental and not disease so I feel confident for the others.

Back
Top Bottom