Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
What are you all doing for pasty butts? Are you noticing there are pasty butts but also just dirty butts where you see poo on the surrounding area but the vent is still clear? Do you find that it is like cement to remove and what are you finding most successful and least stressful for the chicks when you clean them?

I have just started putting 2 tsp of ACV in their water. Today I am going to put a dust bath in the brooder.

I have 26 chicks and I feel like I just clean butts all the time now! It seems to be certain ones only though. Several of my breeds are completely clear of pasty butt signs. The worst are my three Faverolles. The cleanest are the five RIR and four Buff Orpingtons. I don't think I have had to clean them at all! 

How old are your chicks?

How old are your chicks?
They are about 5 - 6 days old. They are hatchery chicks and were mailed out last Monday. I assume they were hatched on Sunday. They were all vaccinated and sexed, which I also would guess takes some time after they hatch. They arrived at my PO on Wednesday morning, so I have had them ~3 1/2 days.

No r
I'm really glad to see all these windows on your coop. Our coop came with the house. It's a lovely 100 ft^2 seemingly well built structure and on both sides, the walls are partial windows. Looks really great, but I was worried because so many coops I see are more closed off looking. With our coop, one of the windows is where the nesting boxes are so you can look and in and see the ladies resting and hopefully laying. Great coop you've got coming together!!

Are you also building a run or will you free range them?

No run, the barn as we are calling it opens up to a big fenced area, the barnyard..

Gary

Cool. We have decided to build a run because the previous home owner said that predators were pretty bad and none of their chickens ever made it past their first year and just kept getting picked off. But then I see my neighbor up the road has his chickens just out free ranging all day and they seem totally fine ... maybe the previous home owners here just didn't take good care of their chickens overall.

I plan on only letting them out when I am around, they will be inside a 6' fenced area and have places to hide from hawks and owls and such, raccoons are my biggest worry but we should not be seeing them in the daytime. We have coyotes and bobcats but I do not think they will scale the fence.

Will play it by ear!

Gary

Yay!!! Yay!!! And yay!! All 4 little ladies came to greet me this AM. Praise the Lord, our littlest looks like she's gonna make it
1f917.png

Doing week nutri-drench tea with electrolytes in water still.
Using MHP, outside in built in brooder. Will be applying coconut oil to little GLW umbilicus for a few days. Keeping an eye on pasty butt too. Will post pics later today
1f423.png

I'm kinda late to replying to this, but I am getting my first chicks TODAY! 6 layers, 10 broilers. So excited!!

Yay! I can't wait to see pics of your babies! We also received layers and broilers this week.
1f601.png

What are you all doing for pasty butts? Are you noticing there are pasty butts but also just dirty butts where you see poo on the surrounding area but the vent is still clear? Do you find that it is like cement to remove and what are you finding most successful and least stressful for the chicks when you clean them?

I have just started putting 2 tsp of ACV in their water. Today I am going to put a dust bath in the brooder.

I have 26 chicks and I feel like I just clean butts all the time now! It seems to be certain ones only though. Several of my breeds are completely clear of pasty butt signs. The worst are my three Faverolles. The cleanest are the five RIR and four Buff Orpingtons. I don't think I have had to clean them at all! 

How funny, my Salmon Faverolle is also the poopiest of the lot! I actually had to remove poop from the top of her back where someone pooped on her, as well as soften and remove a lot from her bum that was creeping up toward her vent overnight! My Polish is the only other one that gets poopy. I cleaned both thoroughly and used some Vaseline to keep the area clear this morning. Of course this meant the pulsating pink vent on the Salmon Faverolle was an easy to spot target and she was getting picked on instantly. I had hubby help me hold a little blue food coloring on a paper towel and with a wet qtip I painted both their butts a little just to take the edge off the pink flesh. Suddenly she was accepted and snuggled with to warm up. I honestly didn't expect it to work that quickly but I'm glad it did! Phew!

Last edited:
We were wondering if any of you have or plan on having an "Open House Party" when your coops are done and your chicks arrive?

Maybe a BBQ, hot dogs, burgers, NO CHICKEN!! Invite fellow birders, potential baby sitters, etc? TBC, BB

Yay! I can't wait to see pics of your babies! We also received layers and broilers this week.
1f601.png

How funny, my Salmon Faverolle is also the poopiest of the lot! I actually had to remove poop from the top of her back where someone pooped on her, as well as soften and remove a lot from her bum that was creeping up toward her vent overnight! My Polish is the only other one that gets poopy. I cleaned both thoroughly and used some Vaseline to keep the area clear this morning. Of course this meant the pulsating pink vent on the Salmon Faverolle was an easy to spot target and she was getting picked on instantly. I had hubby help me hold a little blue food coloring on a paper towel and with a wet qtip I painted both their butts a little just to take the edge off the pink flesh. Suddenly she was accepted and snuggled with to warm up. I honestly didn't expect it to work that quickly but I'm glad it did! Phew!

I also have Polish chicks. In terms of poopiness, the Buff Laced stay clean but the White Crested Black Polish are a bit less clean. The Faverolles though ... wow, they just seem dirty overall. Yet, the grown hens I've seen are gorgeous. Today we are going to inspect each one more closely and clean them all up a bit.

They are about 5 - 6 days old. They are hatchery chicks and were mailed out last Monday. I assume they were hatched on Sunday. They were all vaccinated and sexed, which I also would guess takes some time after they hatch. They arrived at my PO on Wednesday morning, so I have had them ~3 1/2 days. 

They are at prime pasty butt age, they usually get 'better' about 2/3 weeks of age, and by better I mean it's less likely they will get it.
Out of our 16 we only had one with pasty butt, so I took some advice from my fellow BYC members conversations and the place I ordered from. They all agreed that as long as they were otherwise healthy to not use any other additives, nutrients, or treats. To basically give them nothing but plain water and chick starter to eat. Sometimes the added nutrients can cause stomach upsets giving them a higher chance to end up with pasty butt. Also they suggested if that didn't help to cook some egg and chop it up into fine tiny pieces (I mixed it with a little chick grit to be safe though they all said they did not need it) and feed them that. If it clears it up then it's most likely the brand of chick feed is the problem. Also keep a close on on your brooder temps, a big factor is being to cold or hot.
Unfortunately pasty butt is a pain, and sooooo many things cause it. But I followed the straight water and chick starter for a week and poof gone. Haven't had any trouble since then. By all means this is the only experice I have had with with it and while it worked wonders for me, I warn anyone it may not for them, so use your best judgment :)

Back
Top Bottom