Spring 2017 first timers post!

Lol, I'm quite thankful our short dachshund x blue heeler hasn't quite decided on eating ours yet...Hopefully never. ;)

Yeah I'm really hoping he doesn't decide they are tasty snacks. He's generally kept away from them. If he's around, it's close supervision and high praise for leaving them the f*** alone! Lol

Yeah I'm really hoping he doesn't decide they are tasty snacks. He's generally kept away from them. If he's around, it's close supervision and high praise for leaving them the f*** alone! Lol

Hahahaha sounds like we have similar strategies! Go ahead and sniff little doggie but don't act too interested! No attacking? Great, you earned a treat!
1f60b.png

Oh they grow so fast! Our little babies are almost four weeks old (3 1/2 to be exact) and are all thriving so well :)
They've grown so much bigger and all have feathers coming in, and it's looking like we got all females like we ordered (with the exception of the Roo we ordered on purpose that is).
They got Apple and scrambled eggs chopped up very finely for a treat this morning and do they love it!!!
Have to take some pics for comparison when I change the brooder. We had to upgrade it to a puppy play pen as they've outgrown their old wooden brooder.

The noob in me has a question that I think is legitimately original. You often see pictures of a mother bird/hen/duck/etc.. With about 4 or more little baby's following her around, and usually they all seem to be the same size, hence the question, if a bird lays an egg every day, for seven days and she broods them all, wouldn't they be difrent sizes by about a week or days

Last edited:
The noob in me has a question that I think is legitimately original. You often see pictures of a mother bird/hen/duck/etc.. With about 4 or more little baby's following her around, and usually they all seem to be the same size, hence the question, if a bird lays an egg every day, for seven days and she broods them all, wouldn't they be difrent sizes by about a week or days

In theory, the hen will wait until she has a pile of eggs. Then she stops laying and starts setting. The chicks generally hatch in a space of about 24 hours, so they are all the same age. Then she takes them off the nest after 2 days or so. This is how it is supposed to work, of course it doesn't always happen this way. Sometimes other hens keep laying in the broody's nest, and that can cause a problem with the chicks hatching at different times. That's when the human has to get involved, lol.

I'm new but have had chicks for 6 weeks (19 of them) Our chicken house ( too big to call coop haha) has been in the works for a few weeks hopefully finished this weekend! I went from using a tote to 2 totes to swimming pool to adding fence around the pool. Told my hubby I'm going to need another pool if we don't finish the house this week. And they are in my living room!! Ahhh lol here are some pics..

So the only place I have heard of anyone clipping the beak on a chick is in big egg and meat production factories which keep the chicks from hurting each other when they are given only one inch of space ...... for our backyard flocks I don't believe this is necessary and I wouldn't do it even if it were recommended. And should be trimming wing feathers which is I am sure what you meant not clipping the wings off entirely. This is one of the reasons that I am raising my own flock I can't stop things like that from happening if I contribute to the practice by purchasing the products of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom