Spring 2017 first timers post!

Yes the TSC prefab coops are dramatically over exaggerated on the chicken holding capacity. It is quite disappointing if you've bought one and then realize it's not nearly big enough (we have one from a previous purchase too)

That is our plan. We're going to use it as a grow out pen as well. I guess a bit more research would have helped, but we were going by what we had seen on their website.

By chance was the coop one from tractor supply? The red barn one, perhaps? I almost bought that one, then I saw it actually built and was like there's no way our ten will make it in there. We have bought one more than double the size.
It's not what it's cracked up to be, that's for sure. We ordered it then found some reviews and were lucky enough to get the order cancelled the same day we placed it. But don't be too hard on yourself.....they can come in handy and pay for themselves despite the manufacturers hope that they fail and you have to buy another one! (Like anyone would do that!) They make great isolation wards if you have a sick or injured bird. They work as grow-out pens, as you suggested, and can make a wonderful broody pen if you ever had a broody hatch eggs. You will have to reinforce it a bit to make it more predator and weather proof, but in the end there'll be times you'll really be glad you have it handy. I think they see the pictures of commercially raised "cage free" chickens and figure if that place can cram a few hundred birds beak to tail in a building, the one they're selling should be able to hold 8-10 in the same way.....beak to tail.

It's not what it's cracked up to be, that's for sure. We ordered it then found some reviews and were lucky enough to get the order cancelled the same day we placed it.  But don't be too hard on yourself.....they can come in handy and pay for themselves despite the manufacturers hope that they fail and you have to buy another one!  (Like anyone would do that!)  They make great isolation wards if you have a sick or injured bird.  They work as grow-out pens, as you suggested, and can make a wonderful broody pen if you ever had a broody hatch eggs.  You will have to reinforce it a bit to make it more predator and weather proof, but in the end there'll be times you'll really be glad you have it handy.  I think they see the pictures of commercially raised "cage free" chickens and figure if that place can cram a few hundred birds beak to tail in a building, the one they're selling should be able to hold 8-10 in the same way.....beak to tail.  

I had TSC hold the red barn for me. Then my wife said she didn't like it so I canceled it. Then I saw one on display at a TSC in another town and was shocked by how tiny it was. They had another one on display in the store and I actually liked it and felt good about the materials, etc. So we've got that one on raincheck and supposed to come in this next week. Now, it says it can hold 15 birds but I'm not putting more than 10 in it. I think you're right. Either they're thinking beak to tail or they are calculating for someone with all bantams.

Last edited:
50 days and counting
1f602.png

Yes....The prefabbed Coops are not as advertised...I bought one two weeks ago for my Broody Hens and Chicks....Did not go as planned..The Hen left all the babies on the ground ..lol....She was gone to bed...:(

I am using it now to breed my Call Ducks....Much better...As far as permanent homes they are no good...:(

Best wishes !

Cheers!

Our first hatch ever! Days 18-19 in the incubator. The early arrival caught us off guard. Thankfully I had just come home from buying brooder and supplies.
Good luck to all the first time parents!

We use our prefab as a spare building to our food and water in right next to the coop. We plywooded off most of the screened areas to hello keep it warmer and just popped it next to the chicken door on their coop. They don't seem to mind a foot of travel to eat or drink and it keeps the food and water away from most of the poop in their regular coop.

I just feel like such a failure over this. We talked about building a coop to start with and scrapped the idea when we saw these. Now we're screwed because husband burned the box and we can't return it. He's made because we now also have to spend the money to build one on top of it.

Back
Top Bottom