Spring 2017 first timers post!

@trsutton82, I did the same thing. I bought a "prefab" coop- spent 3 hours building it and loved it. So cute. Then everyone on this site pretty much tore it down verbally.
Then when I got my chicks in, they sent me an extra chick! Well it was going to be a tight fit to begin with but the extra chick (who I COULD not and would not get rid of) made it a must to build one myself.
I was able to find someone on Craigslist to buy my pre-built coop. I suggest you try that! Sell it for what you spent on it and you won't feel as bad.
Then we had a month to build our coop. I drew up a blueprint (building that prefab one helped me know what I wanted and didn't want) and the bf built it. With a few mistakes, we got it up and I love it.
I'm sure you guys can manage!

I just feel like such a failure over this. We talked about building a coop to start with and scrapped the idea when we saw these. Now we're screwed because husband burned the box and we can't return it. He's made because we now also have to spend the money to build one on top of it.
So just use it until you can build something better. It'll do for now. Overcrowding isn't the best for them, but they're young and still kinda little. You aren't a failure, and yep - I imagine he is mad. Let him work through it while you use the barn. The sun will still come up in the morning and the birdies will still sing - it's not the end of the world it's just a setback. They'll be fine in it for a time.
hugs.gif

And, there are ways to build without breaking the bank account. Look for free or nearly free lumber: Lowes and other box hardware stores have junk piles out back that you can pick through. I can pick up free building materials at my local dump. I'm thankful that the managers have a tendency to look the other way when I'm shopping there (there's a do not pick policy.) I've gotten lots of nice windows and doors (thermopane) as well as decent size pieces of plywood and shelving material. Check with places that sell ride on lawn mowers and such. Some of that stuff comes in plywood shipping crates. There's always pallets. Contact local roofers or remodelers. They always have piles of stuff left over at every Job site. They'd be delighted to have you show up with a truck to help with clean up. Habitat for Humanity Re-stores often have materials that are awesome for doing it on the cheap building projects. Hinges, and other hardware that tend to drive the cost of any project through the roof are extremely reasonable there. And, my favorite, and most likely method of building is a hoop coop, starting with a cattle panel frame. The greatest benefit of those is that you can build them on the ground. No floor required. Absolutely best for deep litter management.

Today we are building a playpen for the chicks to be out in the sun in the garden and in the areas of the yard where their run will eventually be. Hubby ran off for a few more 2x2s, a couple hinges, and a handle so I'm taking 5 min to rest.

Sadly the little "runt", for want of a better word, of the flock was just found passed away. As it always seems to be for me, it was very recent as she was running around earlier. She had just barely been growing pretty wing feathers but the rest of her was still fluff, unlike her brooder-mates. So the Silver Penciled Rock is no more. Down to 7 layers. The 8 meaties left are doing well and while some are bigger and some are smaller, they all seem to be growing well.

I'll take pics of them in it when it's done!

Second question, some ppl clip the beak off bby chickens , for what reason is this? The wings I understand but not the beak

I learned this lesson today. Woke up and the chickens we're pecking at others to the point of bleeding. Although i didn't cut the beaks i had to find a solution. I separated them and gave them toys

Coop is painted. Ladder is painted. Base is almost finished being painted. Ground is leveled. Next ups is adding roofing shingles to the coop, a roosting bar, and putting the coop on the base in the leveled spot of the yard! After that we start the build of the chicken run.

[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
I spent a day making a larger brooder for our chicks. It is still made out of cardboard boxes but check out how much fun they are having now. The first one was half this size and nine inches shorter. I made it so it has a door I can go in to change food and water. 19 little chicks
1f425.png
in my homemade brooder set up in our dining room. I am so thankful for cardboard boxes and duct tape! I started with one half this size but they were getting crowded and found one perched on top of the box. Took another trip to the store for more boxes and came up with this. It even has a door! They are being kept happy and busy while we build their new coop. We have finished the foundation today and I hope to post some pics tomorrow. I am delighted how this indoor brooder turned out since they are growing so fast and we will be working on the coop for another two weeks.

[VIDEO][
]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom