Spring 2017 first timers post!

Our chicks have grown so much! They are four weeks old now. I can't get them to stand apart for good photos so sorry. But I'll share a few until I can get single photos for comparison.

Day we arrived!

Mr. Henrey Roo (our Blue Ameraucana, if he is in fact a rooster, which we ordered on purpose)

Nibbles, our Blue Splash Maran (she's got pretty feathered legs)

Frost (our white super blue layer)

Golden Cuckoo Maran (she hasn't been named yet, also you may notice I change their names sometimes as I go so I apologize in advance if I do)

Juno (silver gray Dorking, she was our tiny runt and was a little weaker on arrival but she pulled through great and is near the top of their pecking order now)

One of our Easter Eggers

Our two Rhode Island Reds (I can longer tell who was who when little)

Our second Easter egger

One of our crested cream legbar (I love her little crest!)

And either our welsummer or Light brown Leghorn. I have a hard time telling these two breeds apart, but we think it is our Leghorn.
Sorry for the picture blow up on here, just wanted to share!!!!
Also many of babies (we have 16) would not cooperate this morning so not all are posted.

That last chick looks a lot like my Welsummer did not long ago. I love the looks of this breed.
All of your chicks are adorable!
I changed the names of our chicks a few times too. Except for the Welsummer, she's been Nugget from day one.

Day we arrived!

Mr. Henrey Roo (our Blue Ameraucana, if he is in fact a rooster, which we ordered on purpose)

Nibbles, our Blue Splash Maran (she's got pretty feathered legs)

Frost (our white super blue layer)

Golden Cuckoo Maran (she hasn't been named yet, also you may notice I change their names sometimes as I go so I apologize in advance if I do)

Juno (silver gray Dorking, she was our tiny runt and was a little weaker on arrival but she pulled through great and is near the top of their pecking order now)

One of our Easter Eggers

Our two Rhode Island Reds (I can longer tell who was who when little)

Our second Easter egger

One of our crested cream legbar (I love her little crest!)

And either our welsummer or Light brown Leghorn. I have a hard time telling these two breeds apart, but we think it is our Leghorn.
Sorry for the picture blow up on here, just wanted to share!!!!
Also many of babies (we have 16) would not cooperate this morning so not all are posted.

They're beautiful!!
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

Hubby helped me this weekend and between what I managed to do alone and what he helped with, this is how far we have come!

The little pen on the left is their outdoor explore pen while we wait on the coop and run being done. It can fit in our biggest garden bed but not the rest, whoops! They spent several hours out there today and did very wel with zero heat and just a box we used to take them to it for added shelter if they needed it, but it was barely used.

A side view of the coop and mini-pen area:

My girls are growing fast! I'm planning to go get the wood for our new coop tomorrow and plan to have it done or nearly there by the weekend. One of mine is starting to fly a bit and she likes to be up high. She even flew up on my arm tonight. I think she's one of our EE.

My first post but have been reading for a while. Family and I are picking up our first 6 baby chicks on Thursday from a local organic farm; the brooder is set up; and this afternoon I laid out the footprint with pavers for what will be our coop and run. Inadvertently chopped a hole in a buried lawn sprinkler hose while relocating a sprinkler head, so, yeah it begins.

Wish us luck!
1f423.png

Hardy to believe the girls (crossing my fingers lol) are only 7 weeks old. They've been out in the coop and run for what feels like forever but is really only a few weeks. So far so good. Been working on building up a good forest floor in the run for them, and they love it.

We are about to join all of you lucky parents!!! Tomorrow is shipping date so maybe today was crack out?? We spent all day today, no different than the last couple of weeks, working on our coop. Pretty much completed, need some weather stripping around the door, inside and outside ramps, and the stairs need to be worked on. Want them to be removable so that we can roll a wheelbarrow to the door for clean out, and the "dams" that keep the shavings from fall out are also removable. Finishing touches will be "curtains" for the nest boxes, food and water containers, and a low, temporary roost till they can use the full size roosts and some toys.

Now we have a little more work on the run, covering the run and regrading one corner due to my poor initial effort. All in all, pretty darn close. TBC. BB

Back
Top Bottom