Spring 2017 first timers post!

So, I need some practical guidance. Is it really necessary to wait until birds are the same size to put them in the coop together?

I have some 8-week old birds in the coop and some five/six weeks olds that are in a brooder but outside. They're kinda getting too big for the brooder and they don't like being separated.
In my own experience I have found it easy to integrate different ages. Now, My oldest are only 12 weeks so take my advice with that in mind. I am NO expert. I introduced 3 bantams at 6 weeks to a flock of 4 normal sized 7 week old birds. There was zero problem. I have another flock of 4 that, at 3 weeks, escaped from the brooder and integrated themselves into my 12 week old flock of 7. I opened up the coop in the morning and everyone was in the proper place but somehow during the day the little chicks got out and have had full use of the coop and coop yard ever since.

In my own experience I have found it easy to integrate different ages. Now, My oldest are only 12 weeks so take my advice with that in mind. I am NO expert. I introduced 3 bantams at 6 weeks to a flock of 4 normal sized 7 week old birds. There was zero problem. I have another flock of 4 that, at 3 weeks, escaped from the brooder and integrated themselves into my 12 week old flock of 7. I opened up the coop in the morning and everyone was in the proper place but somehow during the day the little chicks got out and have had full use of the coop and coop yard ever since. 

Well, I tried letting them free range together for a bit today. One of the bigger birds and my Welsummer stood up to each other but then backed off. Then the Welsummer and another bigger one did too. After awhile the big ones and the three smaller ones walked into the coop but someone pecked at my ameraucana and hurt her. She screeched and ran out and the Leghorn who hadn't quite made it in ran away too. They seemed fine with the Welsummer in there but she didn't want to be separated from the Ameraucana and Leghorn so she made her way out. I will keep trying but I figure the Welsummer's toughness in standing up to them is what made her acceptable and the Ameraucana's timidity made her a victim.

Hi all, Not sure I qualify as a Newby, but really I feel like one as I'm very new and often looking for answers. I'm in Fallon, Nevada and first got two Royal Palm turkeys last September 2015. A month later I got a variety of 5 hens and a Bantam Splash Cochin rooster from someone that didn't want to bother with what someone gave him. Figured I'd fatten everyone up and butcher before Thanksgiving. Hubby decided he didn't want me to hassle with the turkeys so I sold them. They were a beautiful pair anyway, and then the fat hens suddenly started laying. I get one green egg, and the rest are brown. We lost one to unknown sickness late Fall and one to an unknown injury early this spring, but all else have gone through molt (a longer process than I thought!) and are laying just fine. The cute little fuzzy chicks at the feed store were not to be resisted when they got down to $.99 as they were now flying up to the edge of the bins. Nearly all were sold, so I took 10 Golden Sexlinks on April 4th. They figured they were 2 weeks old at the time, so mine are about 5 1/2 wks old and in my dining room in 2 50 gallon totes. Oh, my goodness, I am sooo ready for these girls to be outside, but it might be too cool yet. Please tell me it's ok!!! Do your hatchery hens hatch their own eggs later? I'm told that the broody nature is often bred out for better production.

Last edited:
ADVaughn
Did you have any adult hens in with the youngers? I have 10 Sexlink chicks at 5 1/2 weeks I'd like to introduce, but have never done this, so leary.

Last edited:
Today we decided to make the switch from pine shavings in the coop to sand. It was a nice sunny day so the girls had to be in their run while we did the switch. First time in about 10 yrs we had to use snow shovels!!! Got a half ton of sand from a nursery. The sand came out of a construction company's dirt operation, direct from a "bank" on their property, all natural. Being able to remove the steps into the coop made things very easy and except for having to shovel the sand into buckets and then dumping in the coop, all went well. Hope the girls like it!

We removed the poop boards temporarily as the chicks are just 5 weeks old and don''t seem to be using the roosts yet. When we sneak a look into the coop before letting them out in the am, about 6:30, they are either on/under the MHP or eating. As soon as their little door to the run is open they come flooding out in mass, very fun. They also put themselves back into the coop early evening which is thoughtful of them. This is even more fun than we thought it would be!!!

ADVaughn

​Did you have any adult hens in with the youngers? I have 10 Sexlink chicks at 5 1/2 weeks I'd like to introduce, but have never done this, so leary.

No, these three younger birds were bought together and have been raised together. Each "generation" has been brooded separately. We have five more bantams and six new chicks in two other brooders. I think if I keep giving them more time together they will adjust to a point where I can put them together without supervision.

Here are new babies 2 white rocks 2 black australorps and 4 buff orpingtons
Its funny cuz I'm the one that was so excited and anxious for them to get here but the one that can't seem to put them down and leave them alone is the hubby especially the small white rock in the back he has named her back up cuz she always walks backwards when ever he looks in I haven't seen it but its gonna be funny when she gets older cuz when she comes running for treats or food be like
here comes back up
Cute! Congratulations!

So historically I've always bought pullets, and we've had three flocks over the last 8 years. Last Thanksgiving we moved to our forever farm on 38ac there were many outbuildings but no ready coop so we rehomed our chickens. I can't be without chickens another moment so today we called the hatchery and ordered 14 Delaware hens and a Rhode Island Red Rooster.... I've never had baby chicks I can't wait! Next year we'll have red sex links!!!!! I so love the dual purpose birds.

Anyway the girl at the hatchery asked "So if your breed selection is not available would you take substitutes?" I said... um no thanks this is breeding stock I'm buying she just laughed and said she figured that by our order.... I'm so excited to be getting tiny baby chicks! Ok I'm done rambling.

Well, I tried letting them free range together for a bit today. One of the bigger birds and my Welsummer stood up to each other but then backed off. Then the Welsummer and another bigger one did too. After awhile the big ones and the three smaller ones walked into the coop but someone pecked at my ameraucana and hurt her. She screeched and ran out and the Leghorn who hadn't quite made it in ran away too. They seemed fine with the Welsummer in there but she didn't want to be separated from the Ameraucana and Leghorn so she made her way out. I will keep trying but I figure the Welsummer's toughness in standing up to them is what made her acceptable and the Ameraucana's timidity made her a victim.

My Welsummer doesn't care to be top of the pecking order, but she takes no crap from any other chicken. Been like that since she was itty bitty.

Hope yoyr little Ameraucana is doing ok.

The girls had watermelon for the first time yesterday. At first they were hesitant to try it but I sprinkled the slice with some dried mealworms then they decided to taste it and quickly devoured the whole thing!

Back
Top Bottom