Spring 2017 first timers post!

One of my Rhode Island reds and one of my red old English. They're just too cute!!! 5 weeks tomorrow! :)

Thanks everyone, I wasn't going to make it a coop bragging post but now I can't help myself! Here are the other sides (from before the final bells and whistles installed). It is a modified version of Purina 4x4x4 Coop that is 6' tall at low end so that when I add the attached 6x8 walk-in run the roof panels can be continuous. Food/water will move outside underneath the coop once it is ready. Also I overseeded the lawn that will be inside run with clover/flax mix and will make an area of run into a salad bar
smile.png

I see an obvious case of child labor abuse! Your over seeding is a good idea and something we may try. At present our run is still in pretty good shape with grass but as the chicks grow we can assume their scratching and pecking of the grass will increase. We try and water every 2nd or 3rd day to keep the grass happy. The run is totally covered so no rain falls on the grass, but clear roofing allows sunlight. Love your coop's color, too. BB

BB - my plan was to make the salad bar frame and put it over a section of the not-yet-destroyed-by-chickens lawn within their run - I feel like that would be easier than starting from seed in dirt when they have access to it? Not sure. Just a thought for you, and take it with a grain of salt since I am a newbie just taking my best guesses the same as you! :)

I see an obvious case of child labor abuse!  Your over seeding is a good idea and  something we may try.  At present our run is still in pretty good shape with grass but as the chicks grow we can assume their scratching and pecking of the grass will increase.  We try and water every 2nd or 3rd day to keep the grass happy.  The run is totally covered so no rain falls on the grass, but clear roofing allows sunlight.  Love your coop's color, too.  BB

I am just posting to see if this website is operational!!! This is the first time since we joined that the site as gone 24 hrs +/- without a single post!!!!!

We are in the process of trying to establish a meal worm operation that will sustain treats for the girls. Ordered 2,000 worms back in Jan which few got fed to the chicks before they turned to beetles. Ordered another 1,000 worms on April 10th and they have been parceled out as treats. Still a little confused as to the timing of separating beetles, debris, etc. TBC BB

@bajabirdbrain Welcome to BYC! This is a super awesome site and everyone is so helpful. I'm a new chicken mommy, my babies are only 3 weeks old and I couldn't have made it this far without the support of everyone here. You will love it! Way to go on the meal worms, I haven't been brave enough to offer those to mine yet, but I see the day coming soon. The kids need some entertainment! :)

Back
Top Bottom