Spring 2017 first timers post!

Finally got the motivation to set up a way for my five 3-1/2-week-old and one 2-1/2-week-old chicks to get some outdoor time. I salvaged scrap from an old box trailer I tore apart a couple weeks ago and some leftover chicken wire, and put together a little outdoor playpen! Nothing fancy and definitely not predator proof, but enough to keep them safe and contained while I'm at home to monitor them. It's been 73 degrees F all afternoon, with the hot New Mexico sun providing them an opportunity to get real warm if too chilly.

They of course freaked out as I put them in a "travel container" ... but before I even took them out, as soon as the sun hit them, a couple already had legs and wings splayed out enjoying the rays!!! My DH didn't know about the sunbathing thing, and I laughed as he thought the quick trip outside had already killed them...
1f602.png

SUCH A GOOD IDEA!!!! They've been having a blast all afternoon, scratching around, dust bathing and sunning themselves. They are obviously so happy!

Hmmmm, I'm beginning to see that the biggest threat to my chickies is not the coons or yotes.... but my beloved pup....
Took my 4 outside yesterday when it was +30 here in Alberta (roughly 90F) and had them in the dog's kennel (which he hasn't used in ages). The chicks were wider than the gaps...but my smartest one figured out how to wiggle through...and the others followed...so it was a short-lived outside adventure! I spent this afternoon using zip ties to wrap the outside in chicken wire so they can't wiggle out the next time. Looking like it won't be that warm again for awhile, but they loved being out there :)

Chicken math hit and I got another chick today - an Ameraucana. Sweet thing had some poop dried on her bum that luckily doesn't obstruct her vent. I got it cleaned up and dried her. This is her resting after her butt bath

Last edited:
It looks like I've found our people! This our first year with chickens and it seems the chicken math is hitting us hard. I told my husband that I thought 10 should be our maximum as it's just the two of us and goodness knows we don't need that many eggs. Well, here we are, 30 chickens later and are constantly looking for more!! They're addicting, I swear.

One of our first babies that started the addiction! Her name is chuck :D

Last edited:
It looks like I've found our people! This our first year with chickens and it seems the chicken math is hitting us hard. I told my husband that I thought 10 should be our maximum as it's just the two of us and goodness knows we don't need that many eggs. Well, here we are, 30 chickens later and are constantly looking for more!! They're addicting, I swear.

One of our first babies that started the addiction! Her name is chuck
big_smile.png

You have NO self control! Welcome to the rest of us suffering from the same disease. Need pictures of your set up, you have dove in with both feet, whew. Where are you located?
celebrate.gif

One of our first babies that started the addiction! Her name is chuck :D

I know the feeling! We wanted to start with 8, started with 16 and now at 30!
This is our first time with chickens too, working on the coop now as they are 4 weeks today and need more space, our brooder seemed huge when we started!
X2...where are you located? I'm in Southern WI...not looking forward to winter lol

We are in Southern Mississippi! I love the winters here as they are very mild but it is our summer that I'm dreading! I've been researching ways to keep the chicks cool like crazy.

We shall put up a photo of our coop when I get home! :)

One of our first babies that started the addiction! Her name is chuck
big_smile.png

Lol
welcome-byc.gif

Same here, was thinking 15, got 35
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom