"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Whew!! So relieved! Now she is in there playing soccer, and just before I helped another one hatched so now there are actually 2 in there playing soccer

I'm so glad. I had to help one during my Easter hatch. She was so weak I was worried she would die. Now she is my only frizzle Cochin. I've never had one before and the lady who's eggs I hatched was bouncing around yesterday when she looked. You would of thought it was Christmas
1f602.png
1f602.png

I think it's a pullet. If not that's ok. I'm going to keep it no matter what
1f61c.png

my chicken butts from last weekend
awesome!!!!!! what a cute image too!!!!

Quote:
Yes, but you will get some without at times

Final count 3 sapphires, 6 lavender Orpington and 1 sally project.
what do you think happened? I so wanted you to get the legbar!!

@Chaos18 I'm down to 1 buff Orpington/CCL, 4 blue maran/CCL's, but 1 may have quit, I just can't see too clearly in that chocolate egg, and still have 18 CCL's. Grand total is 23, so far!
clap.gif

Picture overload... my serama babies.

cuties!!!!! are they more energetic now? you gave electrolytes?

Oh YESSS I DOOO!!! I need them so much, and when I get them I will hug them and kiss them and keep them and love them and call them George! :love
-Bantithecrazyduckaddict

Ok crazy duck hatcher
1f61c.png
advice needed.
This is my first duck hatch for a friend. I set them yesterday but had to put my chicken eggs in at the same time. Any advice to a safe stagnated hatch like this?? I'm thinking of making a divide with my sons big Legos for chick lockdown and hatch to keep soccer ball champs from hurting the duck eggs.

Last edited:
awesome!!!!!! what a cute image too!!!!

Yes, but you will get some without at times

what do you think happened? I so wanted you to get the legbar!!

clap.gif

cuties!!!!! are they more energetic now? you gave electrolytes?
All but one was very energetic. The weakling passed away
hit.gif
We have 11 chicks, and there is 1 more egg in the incubator that has movement but I'm not sure what to do we are on day 23 now. No internal pip.

Should I assist the last serama egg? We will be on day 23 in the morning. I can see it slightly moving. No internal pip.
candle all the way around the egg, sometimes you can see the yellow from the yolk to see if it is absorbing
example with duck egg

Quote: sure do, croaking is more like it!

Result of hatch #1 complete on 4/15/16

Re

awwww CONGRATS!!!

Hello! Well let's see in my beautiful Sally coolerbater, I have geese and ducks. And in another i have chickens. I also have a broody chicken sitting on duck eggs (and some chicken eggs her lazy Mazie friends squirrelled under her). April 22 is my 40th birthday so i getting myself some jubilee Orpington eggs (yay) if it works out
wink.png
SARA!!! welcome!!!!

hugs.gif

All but one was very energetic. The weakling passed away :hit  We have 11 chicks, and there is 1 more egg in the incubator that has movement but I'm not sure what to do we are on day 23 now. No internal pip.

This is what happened with my last chick as well. After day 23 passed and I noted the movement getting slower I carefully put a hole in the air cell side. Upon examination I noted that the poor thing was shrink wrapped in the top so after an hour of gently opening the hole bigger and applying warm (like with a baby) water with a q-tip I was able to loosen her enough to get free and zip. She was very weak and I feared death but she pulled through.

Hello! I am hatching cream Legbars and Birchen Marans, and Birchen x Cuckoo Marans. I got this fancy new phone, and I've been offline for so long... Not like I ever did anything before but lurk and peruse. Still! I am ready to participate! To be honest, I would look up things on this site years before I even made an account, and even after making the account I didn't say much. Always too busy! Plus I had another baby... I have 3 young kids and a husband makes 4... But I love my birds. I have a small flock of 40, 25 Cream Legbars, a mix of the 1st and 2nd import groups I believe, from Ewecrazy farms, but shipped from Texas several years ago. I have 11 Marans, 3 are English type Cuckoo, 6 are beautiful French Birchen, and 2 are solid black from crossing the Birchen and Cuckoo. I got my Birchen from Rodney Reeves, and their color is soooo beautiful. The rest of my birds are wonderful randomness, adding color and variety. And turkeys! My newest hatch should start pipping any time now... Have rolling hatches for this and next weekend in my ancient 1266 sportsman! And an early 1502 model as the hatcher, since my great uncle put an acrylic door on it. Whoo hoo! Yay!
Dancing around!!!
Welcome! Congrats on the baby, you will have lots more fuzzy babies coming your way soon! Good Luck!

I did the same with the last silkie egg. He's running around just fine now...
It's definitely running like crazy now!

I understand there is an app out there for smart phones that help you manage your hatching eggs and remind you to turn them and stuff.
hatchabatch its ok, i have it but didn't really follow it too closely

my chicken butts from last weekend
CUTE!

If I end up keeping a few of these bantam cochins, and a few of these silkies that I hatch, I will have broody after broody. May have to let a couple have some babies for the summer. Haven't had a mama and babies for a while. Would be fun to see again. :)
I do have a white silkie cockeral out there with a black smooth SG. Just waiting for both of them ..the pullet should be laying any min..and he's already starting to act like he wants to .. ahem..attack her. :D
I am hoping for my silkies to hatch, i want broody chickens!

Ooo, nice! Did that baby hatch without assistance? Nice high vault. Want to see that one all fluffed out!
Nope, assistance was needed, but very active now

NNxGold Laced Polish
Can't wait to see it as it grows, going to be very pretty!

What a relief. I know how your heart goes in your throat when you have to help one. My little silkie unzipped, but left a couple little areas of the membrane intact around her zipping area. I went in with sharp pencil and helped to separate those areas. I was nervous that she wouldn't get her feet on the ground correctly after that, but she did, and she is adorable. Great job!
ya.gif
Thanks!

Hello! Well let's see in my beautiful Sally coolerbater, I have geese and ducks. And in another i have chickens. I also have a broody chicken sitting on duck eggs (and some chicken eggs her lazy Mazie friends squirrelled under her). April 22 is my 40th birthday so i getting myself some jubilee Orpington eggs (yay) if it works out
wink.png
What a great birthday present! Can't wait to see the chickies!

Well finally caught up. Been so busy building a new paddock for the goats. Had to drive 50 tpost by hand and put up 500 feet of fencing by myself. Been giving all the coops a spring cleaning as well. Incubating eggs raising chicks taking care of the new ducks. Hands full to say the least. But woke up this mourning to 11 babies in the bator. And a bunch more pips. Will get up pics soon. Good to here from everyone again!!!
Congrats!

Mmmmm coffeeeee!

oh NO I pray you got that chick out!!

*IMPORTANT INFO= TIMELINES PIPS ZIPS!!! & MARKING AIR CELLS DAY 18, DRAW DOWN, INTERNAL PIP, EXTERNAL PIP, and ZIPPING post #35770

THE ZIP / ZIPPING Final HATCH OUT!
THIS STAGE LOOKS ALMOST LIKE A ZIPPER ON YOUR JACKET!
IT ONLY LASTS UP TO 45-90 minutes for chicken eggs!

The final hatch is very quick compared to the previous gaps/stages! The Chick will continued to push through the shell, using its egg tooth.The chick will take a few short rests, changed position, turn and keep cutting through the shell until its head fall free of the opened shell. It will then kick off the bottom part of the shell and then rest exhausted while its navel opening heals and its downy feathers dry off. HATCH COMPLETE

LL
zipper.jpg

LL
Thanks, i will be reading this!

are you sure your not seeing the eye and then the other end of the embryo?
how close are the spots?

LL
I LOVE MOLLYYYY
fl.gif

awwwwww Congrats!!

I posted for you!!!! please read the timeline info!
Your molly is so cute!

We started our first batch of eggs ever in a Hovabator 1588. We purchased Swedish Isbar eggs from a lady who sells them on eBay. I ordered 18 and she sent 23. One had a detached air cell.
We started the eggs on April 12th after letting them sit for 3 days. We just found out last night that our egg turner isn't working. My DH was able to fix it today, thankfully but we are a bit worried that it hasn't been working since it started.

Last edited:

Woke up to these babies this morning!! There having a great game of soccer with all the other pipped eggs.
awwww Congrats!!!!!!

My,very first Silkie egg was fertile
sweet CH!!

Quote: awwww sorry about the weak one :( most times the malpositions are the first to pip and then the ones that cant pip are the ones remaining. Most times unless you can time it right and get them just as they are absorbing well you can save them assisting. I dont assist anymore but I did make this post to help others, candling can help with assisting if malpositioned.

Back
Top Bottom