Square Foot Gardening Thread

Looking for suggestions on what I could make my grids out of? The top of my boxes are not flat like the traditional ones, so I need ideas on what I could affix to the inside walls. Help!

I can't see your pics on the computer at work, so I'm commenting on this thread so I can find it when I get home.

Sorry Kassaundra, they are pretty large pictures. Let me know what you think when you get home! I just read your BYC page and wanted to let you know we live in town as well and only have 3/4 of an acre. We are looking towards sustainability as well
smile.png

Last edited:
I love your pics of your yard, great looking dog too. i have the SFG books and the Lasagna gardening book as well and really enjoyed using a combination of both methods. I live in zone 5 central ny state and all we've had is rain, mud and snow flurrys!! :eek:[
i laid out my boxes 6x6 and them layered the old carboard, compose then dirt last fall so they could rott thru the winter. i added chicken and rabbit poop to them before the snow took over to help make them healthy for spring planting. i took off the winter crust and fluffed them up a bit and started planting april 1st, my usual time.
while i don't have a washing station, i do have a solar shower and a rain water barrel system i'll have up and running once the silicone glue sets up on the barrels. I am not a picture person but suffice to say my yard looks like a refugee camp just left!
lets keep this going so we can see how others are doing too.

Quote:
Thanks erthymom2! I have heard of the Lasagna method but haven't looked into it yet, looks like I have another book to buy! Now that I have my boxes built, I can use it in the fall right? Rain barrels rock, could be the easiest, most satisfying thing we have started yet! SFG very well may take over the #1 spot
lol.png

I don't know if this will work since I'm on the work computer but I am going to try and post a pic of a potato tire tower I am experimenting on this year. The pic is dark and crappy sorry for that if it shows up.

66877_dsc_9212.jpg

Since this pic was taken I have cut out the center side walls giving them more room, and started filling the inside w/ leaves.

Last edited:
I have seen this! It is such a good idea. I would think it should work very well. When you harvest, will you be able to just take the tires off one by one? Reducing the amount of digging? I would LOVE that
big_smile.png

DH is suggesting that we just use some sort of string for the grids. I wanted something prettier! And more substantial!
tongue.gif

First that is a seriously long legged dog!!!
ep.gif
Second I guess I'm not understanding what you are wanting to "affix" to the sides of the raised beds?

Back
Top Bottom